Sign in to follow this  
JustWakinUp

leather bondo/wood filler/fixer upper/hide something kinda stuff

Brief over follows.

I purchased a piece of leather, and without saying there name, from an extremely popular leathercraft store oh about 2 months ago. I felt like I did a pretty good job at looking the piece over, well as good as one can under the lighting conditions of the store. So I pull the 4oz piece down today and begin to knock off some of the dust and whatnot and to my surprise there is this oddly colored subtance that keeps coming off the leather leaving indentions. I'm thinking it's me and Im using a terribly t-shirt for dust removal. Common sense strikes with a bolt of lightning and says, "you idiot it's cotton from a friggin tshirt, something is wrong with the leather". On closer inspection it appears as if there is some type of leather bondo/wood filler/fixer upper/hide something kinda stuff that has been placed in these imperfections of this piece to make it appear as a very nice piece. These bondo jobs stretch across the piece, it's not just a few places. Anyway , a picture is worth a thousand words.

*Sorry about the scale of image but I wanted to be sure you all saw this

LeatherBondo3.JPG

LeatherBondo4.JPG

post-2546-1194124438_thumb.jpg

post-2546-1194124747_thumb.jpg

Unfortunate that some companies sell garbage just to increase their bottom line. I would be tempted to return it and raise heck (utah speak for the uninformed) until the situation was made right. Some of these companies still don't get it! There is a line and unfortunately alot of them cross it way to often and consumers let them do it without complaint, oh well I guess we can't expect much from a walmart nation. One bad press moment tends to reach far more people than even the smallest of good deeds. Excuse my rant, I just returned from a shopping trip at "The Dark Side" shame on me I just couldn't help myself.LOL

I have never experienced what you are describing, and I wouldn't be very happy with it either. If it isn't something you got a really great deal on out of a bargain bin, I'd take it back and complain.

I've seen this before, and no longer buy the hides where I found it. I read recently how some tanneries will put a kind of paste on the grain side to hide defects.

Kate