Spinner

New Beary Maul Has Arrived!

Just got my new Beary maul this last week and am finally able to share pictures of it. I ordered up a 28oz. maul from Beary and while talking asked if he would work with wood I supplied. The handle is made from a gallery grade blank of Amboyna Burl I bought at a woodturning symposium about 8 years ago and could never decide what to make out of it. Turns out the blank was the exact size Beary needed for the handle so I knew it was fated to be part of my new maul. Beary did a great job making it and it feels great.

Now that I have partial power back and can charge my camera I'll see about taking some larger/closer shots of the handle, these were the photos Beary sent me as a preview.

Happy drooling! ;)

Chris

post-10543-037530500 1323191521_thumb.jp

post-10543-004747300 1323191543_thumb.jp

post-10543-079079400 1323191547_thumb.jp

post-10543-031224300 1323191553_thumb.jp

Edited by Spinner

Good looking Maul, Chris! I sure like mine!!

Bobby

Spinner

The pixs are a bit smaller, but that wood looks beautiful!

Chris,

I'm with Sam about the smaller pictures not doing the gallery grade burl justice. Looking forward to better pictures...

Regards,

Ben

Good looking Maul, Chris! I sure like mine!!

Bobby

Spinner

The pixs are a bit smaller, but that wood looks beautiful!

Chris,

I'm with Sam about the smaller pictures not doing the gallery grade burl justice. Looking forward to better pictures...

Regards,

Ben

Thanks guys, I got a chance to use it last night and man what a difference a good heavy maul makes. I will say though, there is no such thing as a light hand with 28ozs. Was nice to have another option when tooling though and found switching back and forth between the two weights wasn't a big deal and made a big difference in tooling details.

Here's a couple of bigger pics of the handle:

post-10543-089209300 1323274605_thumb.jp

post-10543-069286200 1323274627_thumb.jp

post-10543-045266900 1323274647_thumb.jp

Dude.....that is gorgeous! Man, I can see why you held on to it all this time. Wow!

Dude.....that is gorgeous! Man, I can see why you held on to it all this time. Wow!

Thanks Sam, even after a couple of days I still sit back and just look at it for a few minutes before starting tooling.

Almost makes me want to turn the other, larger blocks of Amboyna Burl I have lying around the shop but then I remember I have burnishers to turn first. LOL There's probably close to $1000 worth of it scattered around my shop but I loathe to sell any as it's getting harder to find in good qualities. :head_hurts_kr:

Edited by Spinner

That is some beautiful wood, mauls not to shabby eithersmile.gif

When last I checked with Beary he was not making anything this heave, has that changed? Well I guess that last question is obvious, I'll have to drop him a email.He makes the best mauls I have come across. They are not only the best looking but what ever that compound ( / brand / mix ??) he's using has the best feel to it. It's not to hard but by no means soft, no tool slip with his mauls at all.

Edited by Chef niloc

That is some beautiful wood, mauls not to shabby eithersmile.gif

When last I checked with Beary he was not making anything this heave, has that changed? Well I guess that last question is obvious, I'll have to drop him a email.He makes the best mauls I have come across. They are not only the best looking but what ever that compound ( / brand / mix ??) he's using has the best feel to it. It's not to hard but by no means soft, no tool slip with his mauls at all.

I'd definitely drop him a note, things have likely changed. When I asked about the weight he didn't mention not making them or it being special so I imagine he'd make another.