Sign in to follow this  
DrmCa

What Brand Of Rubber Cement For Gluing Parts Together Before Stitching?

In previous life (in Europe) I used natural latex glue where latex was simply dissolved in distilled gasoline.

It worked great: held the pieces together and could be removed from gloss leather by rubbing with the fingers.

Here in Canada I tried Elmer's "rubber cement" and that clearly was not the same thing: It remained tacky after drying.

Two scrap pieces that I glued together can be still separated and would stick together after a couple weeks.

Visually the "old" glue I was used to was clear, while Elmer's was foggy. And the smell was not exactly of gasoline.

What brand of genuine natural latex glue can be used on leather?

There is always an option of ordering a pillow filled with shredded natural latex and dissolving it in gas, but that is messy.

Edited by DrmCa

Generally rubber cement (Elmers and others generally found in stationery stores) here is only used for temporary gluing. For permanent gluing, suggest using contact cement. Either hydrocarbon solvent based (often in a red can) or latex water based (often in a green can). A lot depends on your tolerance for strong smelling solvents.

There are lots of threads here about contact cement and proper usage.

Tom

you did not ask for contact cement but lepage low odour water based is supposably comparable to the regular kind. Strong like barge yet not strong smelling. I did not try this glue yet since the white glue I own works okay.