tostrap

Opinions On Juki 553 Please :)

Hi All! I was hoping to get some opinions.... I typically hand stitch everything, but recently came across a juki 553 for $400. Has anyone here had any experience with this machine? Would types of leather would it be suitable for? i've been working with some aniline and suede, but would this machine be ok for veg tan leather as well? Thanks and much appreciated! :)

Edited by tostrap

The Juki 553 is a forward only (no reverse), straight stitch, bottom feed machine. It is capable of sewing suede or other soft leather, probably up to about 3/16 inch thickness. This would be with a #18 needle and #69 bonded nylon thread. You may have to convert it into a roller foot machine to feed two or more layers and keep them aligned.

You will not have much luck sewing belts on this type of machine. It is a tailoring machine.

Hold out for a newer walking foot machine, or an actual leather sewing machine. I have a huge Cowboy CB4500 leather stitcher that can sew over 3/4 inch of leather on holsters, with up to #415 thread. But, the last job I sewed on it I did with #92 thread, on a leather vest, applying patches. Before that I used it to sew a new pocket onto a pair of jeans. I routinely use it to edge stitch bridle leather belts, with #277 thread on top and #207 in the bobbin.

My walking foot machine can sew with #138 thread on belts, vests and jeans, but can't sew holsters with 1/2 inch of welt between the layers, or sew anything with #277 thread.