Old Navy

How to hold a head knife.

Hi,could someone tell me if you know of a cd or something to explain how to hold a head knife?When I put my hand around it ,my hand does not touch the back and I feel ike I dont have any control.I saw a man on u tube cut a small piece of leather.Does he grip the blade by gripping with his fingers?Thanks for your help.navy

Well, the best place to learn about using a head knife would be an apprenticeship.

Second best is.....HERE!!!

The technique for using a head knife will vary slightly from user to user, and also the application. For general cutting, I grasp the handle with my ring and pinky fingers, and my thumb. My index and middle finger lie along the blade. This allows you to guide the blade and vary the vertical axis as you need. The knife should glide through the leather, never grabbing at it. If it does, it's time to strop it. Push the blade slowly until you get the hang of it. The point should skate across your cutting board, allowing the curve of the blade to do the cutting. Because of the curve, the blade has more cutting surface than a straight edge. ALWAYS KEEP THE FINGERS OF THE OTHER HAND TO THE SIDE AND PREFERABLY BEHIND THE LINE OF THE CUT. A properly sharpened knife will slice through skin and tendons like they weren't there.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll find yourself using the head/round knife almost exclusively.... even for skiving.

**I did a quick search for it, but I don't see the old 'guide' for it. The link on the main page doesn't lead anywhere anymore. If someone has that could you post it?**

The handle of a head knife is often too long and you´ll get a better control if you cut a piece off the handle, then round off the cut, and it will fit your hand better and you will get more power to push and control the knife, as it will place your hand closer to the cutting edge. Al Stohlman has described this in his book Leather Tools. I have tried it and it works.

/ Knut

Edited by oldtimer

Hi Navy,

I am not fond of this video as his knife use is of a style I don't recommend. The style he uses is to actually hold the blade and apply pressure to the blade to move the knife forward. With today's leather, you often (even with HO and WC) encounter "hard" spots. Using the method in this video, it is easy for the hand to slide up on the blade and a finger or two to get under it where it is meeting the leather, instant red leather (not an attractive red either). Note in the video how close the third and ring fingers are to the cutting point on the edge.

The better method is the one Knut and Al Stohlman describe where the butt of the handle rests in the palm of the hand and the fingers are along the center of the blade. If you hit a hard spot, you tend to push with your palm and the fingers don't slide forward so easily. This is also the way I was taught by Verlane. Control is very good with this method.

Bill Buchman would put what he used to call "ladies handles" on the knives I ordered from him after he saw what I had done to one of his handles with the belt grinder. Bill is no longer with us (he passed last Saturday), I will miss him, great knifemaker and even better person.

Art

Here is a video on youtube of someone using a headknife

Thanks guys,I feel better already.I didnt like my fingers so close to the blade in the u tube video.I will use your style and I may shorten the handle.navy

I think Al Stohlman had the best instructions of using a maintaining (sharpening) of a head knife. I would seriously consider purchasing his Leathercraft Tools book, but in the meantime, here is his instructions of how to use one. The link is from the main page Tips and Tricks I think.

How to use a head knife

I think Al Stohlman had the best instructions of using a maintaining (sharpening) of a head knife. I would seriously consider purchasing his Leathercraft Tools book, but in the meantime, here is his instructions of how to use one. The link is from the main page Tips and Tricks I think.

How to use a head knife

Thanks Marlon,thats what I was looking for.Navy

How to use a head knife

When I click the link above link all that comes up is BACK and HOME!!!!

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Edited by Elliot

When I click the link above link all that comes up is BACK and HOME!!!!

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

I don't know. It's an html document, so it should be easily seen. Here's the path to it though... Go to the main page of leatherworker.net, click on MORE TIPS AND TRICKS HERE, then about 2/3 down the page, there's a link that says HOW TO USE A HEAD KNIFE.

If that doesn't work, it could be your computer, try another one if you have access to one.

Hi Elliot,

you´re not doing anything wrong. I also had that problem. The site seems to work properly just with the Internet Explorer. I used Firefox and Opera and both weren´t able to show the Tips&Tricks page with the article about using the head knife.

Cheers,

Marcel

Hi Elliot,

you´re not doing anything wrong. I also had that problem. The site seems to work properly just with the Internet Explorer. I used Firefox and Opera and both weren´t able to show the Tips&Tricks page with the article about using the head knife.

Cheers,

Marcel

Thank you

Am using Firefox.

The links above and below it load fine. Had me wondering