Sign in to follow this  
Leather Bum

metal leather handtools

Ok, I'm wondering a few things about the metal leather handtools.

Does oiling tools help keep the metal from rusting? Also, what type of oil is good to use on leatherwork tools, since it's possible the oil will at some point get on the leather? The type of tools that I would think needed oiling sometimes are ones such as wing dividers, swivel knives, rotary punches, etc. -- tools that have sliding metal components.

I'd like to know how to properly keep tools from rusting and what oil to use on them.

L'Bum

L’Bum

I never oil my leather tools and I have never had them rust. I do live in the Los Angeles area where humidity is not a huge concern but I also keep my tools put away. Most of the rust problems come from wanting to display tools by hanging them around the bench and shop or leaving them on work benches for extended periods. Wipe with a clean dry cloth and store in a drawer or tool box. Using a desiccant in your tool box and other storage containers in areas of high humidity will also help. Oil can and will cause problems IMO.

Edited by ghstrydr164

Johnsons Paste Wax [floor wax, yellow can] works. Plust there are some waxes made for the metal parts of firearms that will serve this purpose, one made by Birchwood Casey comes to mind, knife makers use a similar product. Do a search under gunsmithing and knifemaking supplies. With any of these products you don't have to worry about oils getting on the leather or oily salts from your hands putting corrosive spots on your steel tools.

Hi L'Bum,

For hand tools I use Ballistol, it won't let em rust and it won't hurt the leather. For machine tools (with ground surfaces like saws or grinders I use Johnson's Wax comes in a yellow can at hardware store, works great. I just oil the sewing machines with machine oil, petroleum based mineral oil or hydraulic fluid.

Art

Ok, I'm wondering a few things about the metal leather handtools.

Does oiling tools help keep the metal from rusting? Also, what type of oil is good to use on leatherwork tools, since it's possible the oil will at some point get on the leather? The type of tools that I would think needed oiling sometimes are ones such as wing dividers, swivel knives, rotary punches, etc. -- tools that have sliding metal components.

I'd like to know how to properly keep tools from rusting and what oil to use on them.

L'Bum

Hi L'Bum,

Weaver has it or a leatherworker.net member JPH is a distributor in NV. It comes in liquid or aerosol spray. Jim is a great guy, way big time master bladesmith.

Art

Hey thanks everyone for the helpful replies! I think I'll see about maybe getting some of the Ballistol. . . Where might it be found, I wonder?

L'Bum

I agree with gstrydr, other than mechinised tools, if you use them all the time and put them up when done there is no issue with rust and little issue with lubrication. I have 75 and 100 year old tools that have no rust and probably haven't been near a drop of oil in 50 yrs or better.

The only things I have had rust issues with are things that didn't get put up properly or were stored incorrectly. I oil the heck out of my stitchers, finisher and once in a while my splitter and crease roler, but hand tools for the most part non't get the kind of use that requires lubing.

My 2 bits.G.H.