boVi

Looking At A Couple Old Singers For My First Machine

Hi everyone. I've gathered a ton of information here, so thank you for that...

I'm getting a couple of my repeat customers (veg tanned holsters and cases) ask for soft sided goods. I've found some nice chrome tanned leather that fits the bill, but I don't really want to do these projects by hand. What do you guys think of the oldie Singer 15-88 treadle or the 15-91 electric machines? There's a few around locally (from $50 to $300), and if I can make one work for just a couple layers of 4-5 oz chrome tanned, I think I may buy one. I've seen some videos of them humming along on some scrap leather, so it seems that if I find one in good condition, it could be 'massaged' into service.

I'm not scared of thumping a treadle, I'm more scared of wicked fast 'all or nothing' electric machine.

Any information on thread and needle sizes these machines will run? My return customers are used to my very large saddle stitching thread, so I guess the larger the better. Are the needles the same as contemporary needles, or will they be an internet only deal?

Thanks so much for your guys' n gals' time and advice.

Cheers,

Matt

Welcome to the forum Matt.

You won't be able to do more than 1 or 2 layers of fabric or garment leather with the Singer 15-88 or 15-91. These machines are not designed for sewing leather.

I recommend you read through this leather sewing machines guide written by one of our forum members, you'll find lots of valuable information in there that will help you make an informed purchase.

http://leatherworker...showtopic=25239

Feel free to post any additional questions.

Ron

Edited by Techsew Ron

Oh yeah, that's a great post, and I've read it a time or two... I just can't really afford anything more than dirt cheap, and was hoping for some feedback/miracle loop. I'd hate to pass on these TWO custom projects because I can't afford the right tools, and I won't take the project without the right tools... Darn predicament.

Thanks a lot Ron! I'll be in touch with you when the time comes for a proper machine!

Cheers,

Matt

$300!!??!! If I could get that sort of money for the collection of 15's and clones I have here I could retire! They are great machines to learn the basics of sewing on and you can even do garment weight leather on them but not suitable for holsters. A good 15 clone (and in some ways they are better than the original Singer) is a good machine to buy for $20 to muck around with and take up your jeans.

I would have about a dozen Singer 15's (from the -1 to k88) as well as another dozen Japanese clones. Recently I imported a current Chinese built 15 and most of the words I have to say about it are not included in the dictionary.

I own a Singer 15-91 and have tried to sew leather with it. My findings are as follows:

• The biggest needle available is a #20, but it is hard to find in leather point.
  • The heaviest thread that the #20 needle passes is #92 bonded nylon or bonded polyester.
  • Number 18 leather point needles are available from most sewing machine shops. They are the right size for #69 (T70) bonded thread. This thread is rated between 10 to 11 pound test. It is best limited to wallet interiors, or combining the edges of soft leather or leatherette belts. It is also good for seat covers that won't be under a lot of strain.
  • The maximum thickness I can get under the standard foot, set to its normal height, is 1/4 inch
  • The motor needs to be helped with the hand wheel when trying to sew 1/4 inch of leather, or a soft wooden ruler covered in chap leather. This is even when I used a #18 needle, with #69 thread.
  • The leather tends to lift with the needle, so I had to turn the presser foot pressure screw all the way down.
  • A fully tightened pressure screw adds to the strain on the motor and machine and makes it harder for the feed dogs to move the material.
  • When the motor bogs down under the strain, it makes an unhappy sound and gets quite hot.
  • When it does feed leather, it sews it nicely, albeit with very thin thread and smallish stitches.
  • Adding an even feed foot (fake walking foot) reduces the available clearance to about 3/16 inch. It does improve the feeding of two layers without the separation caused by the standard foot. However, these fake walking feet don't have real grip and if you hold back the leather, is slips under the foot.

It is possible to get 15X2 22g leather point needles - I am having some made right now - but a 15 class is going to be working right at its top end with 138 and penetration will be a problem.

Bolting on a 150W motor will help but you would be starting to invest money in a machine that will always be very limited.