speedbuggy

Claes Patching Machine

Does anyone have any expireince with this machine? I want use it for general tooling leather sewing and 3-4 layers of 7/8 oz leather. I like the Idea that it is hand operated (but can upgrade to electric), that would let me control the speed and positioning a bit better.

patcher%20size%202.jpg

Any thoughts?

Shoe patchers generally are limited to sewing a maximum thickness of between 1/4" to 5/16" - depending on the bobbin size/arm length. Long arm - big bobbin patchers, made by Adler, will sew up to 5/16", using a long #22 needle (I use one at a friend's shop). My short arm Singer patcher only manages to sew 1/4" with #69 thread (#18 needle). The machine in the photo is a short arm patcher. Furthermore, the short arm machines generally only handle #69 TO #92 nylon thread, whereas the long arm patchers can handle #138, top and bottom.

Note, that some folks are able to setup their patchers to sew heavier thread or thicker material, and use larger needles, but this requires an intimate knowledge of how to modify the machines.

Hey there speedbuggy

This is a boot or shoe patcher machine and no substitute for a real sewer. I mean this will sew leather and be a very good addition to any leather workshop but it will not be the same as a proper walking foot plain stitcher. Firsatly the top foot does all the pulling. That means than there will be marks on the leather made by the foot and you may not be able to get rid of them off your work.

Secondly these machins are made to sew in any direction. Hence no feed dog to pull the work along. You will find it quite hard to sew anything straight.

This machine(pictured) is not a Claes which are very expensive and well made. There are a lot of copies out there.

Make sure you know what you are buying if this is your first machine.

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

I have had three Singer 29 series shoe patchers in my career and all of them are truly made for doing just that: patching rips in shoes and boots. They are also useful for fixing zippers and handbags, small pouches and various thin projects. They are not designed to be used in manufacturing or for sewing long straight lines. They are not meant to use anything heavier than #135/138 thread, with #69/92 in the bobbin.

Long arm patchers with large bobbins can do heavier sewing than short arm patchers, and can do light manufacturing in the hands of skilled operators.

All, thanks for your help. I guess I'll keep hunting the auction/used market for that $200 steal someplace.

Trust me they are out there. I went to an estate auction near me and in the corner of the garage there sat my newest adventure. It is a 1908 Singer model 29-4. I paid a total of $100 and am now putting about $40 in parts and a few hours of elbow grease to make it just perfect. So just wait, when you least expect it, you find the most amazing things in the strangest places.

good luck! keep searching!

Runningwithscissiors is absolutely right. I have a long arm head I got at the flea market for $250, I have a short arm head that was given to me by a guy that was in the seventh cavalry at Fort Riley and he had had to pretty much dispose of what had been left of the cavalry there.

Another guy at the shop bought a beautiful Adler long arm on the stand for $125, somebody just wanted to get rid of it, and thought we might know something about it.

I'm not what you would call a networker at all, but I've been in the right place at the right time a few times and gotten some good deals without trying, but I do keep my eyes open for any little "rusty" thing. Just be patient,

Kevin

May i jump in with a request for advice please.  I'm purchasing a claes 30 and will require a servo drive motor and controller.  Who makeD a good system?

Honestly the system that came on my 5100SE is unfortunately very poor in terms of control. Im sure there must be very good servo controllers and motors designed specific for the sewing industry that don' require elevated skills to operate...I hope at least.

What is normally recommend?  

Don

1 hour ago, Silverd said:

May i jump in with a request for advice please.  I'm purchasing a claes 30 and will require a servo drive motor and controller.  Who makeD a good system?

Honestly the system that came on my 5100SE is unfortunately very poor in terms of control. Im sure there must be very good servo controllers and motors designed specific for the sewing industry that don' require elevated skills to operate...I hope at least.

What is normally recommend?  

Don

I use these Family Sew motors, equipped with a non-factory, dealer installed 50mm pulley. I also have a speed reducer between the motor and some of my machines.

Thank you.  I will investigate.  

Don