Sign in to follow this  
Matt Alsaker

Saddlebag Style Purse - First Purse Ever

The saddlebag style purse Bob Klenda made in the last Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal looked like something my wife would enjoy for her upcoming birthday. I'd never even thought of making a purse, so I read everything I could on this forum and exchanged a few emails with Kevin at Springfield Leather. I have more hours into this thing than I'd like to admit and one of the mistakes is right on the front of the bag for everyone to see. Yep, I forgot to stitch across the top of the back plate (where the shoulder straps attach) prior to stitching the lid to the back plate. I could no longer get my Cobra Class 4 into the area to stitch it. I though of just hand stitching it, but thought that might be more noticeable than not stitching it at all. If the seam does not hold up, it'll be another lesson learned.

I didn't sew any pockets or compartments into the purse. I wasn't sure how to go about that. Any feedback or suggestions would be great.

post-28681-040827300 1344218939_thumb.jp

post-28681-025071800 1344218948_thumb.jp

post-28681-017304300 1344218953_thumb.jp

It is a very nice job regardless of a couple little gotchas. And you will know for any other purses - any type - that you may do in the future. Great job. Kepp it up.

CTG