Blak Smyth

Blak Smyth - New To Leather

Well, like many in this section I am new to this site but also new to leather working.

I was searching the internet for a nice leather watch strap.

After seeing the prices I began to think maybe I could buy the materials to make my own strap for the same price.

So I am here to gain some wisdom about working with leather.

The more research I do the more I am fascinated by the medium.

Initially I was interested only in a watch band, now I see myself taking this much further.

I am starting off on a budget so I ordered several cheap items to try and see if I can figure out the methods.

I began working last night however I am still waiting for several things to arrive in the mail.

First couple bands I struggled with, but understood what I needed to do different.

I look forward to improving this to a skill, in due time.

I hope to learn from you all even more than I already havewhile lurking for the last few days.

A little about myself:

I am a cigar smoker, it is a passion of mine. My wife is not a fan.

I enjoy a nice bourbon or rye whiskey from time to time and look forward to doing so while shaping some leather.

I do draw and hope to cross that skill over into this new hobby of mine... eventually.

I am a coffee home roaster and I drink a lot of espresso drinks throughout my day... my stitch lines might be crazy.

Edited by Blak Smyth

You didn't say a thing about keeping that espresso hot by sitting it on the edge of the forge, . . .

Welcome to the site.

May God bless,

Dwight

You didn't say a thing about keeping that espresso hot by sitting it on the edge of the forge, . . .

Welcome to the site.

May God bless,

Dwight

I am actually not a blacksmith, it has been my screen name for many years on several other interest forums.

My last name is Smith, that is what it is referenced to. Thank you for the welcome. I did get some progress pictures of the straps I have been working on.

My first too long strap attempts (First leather attempts actually), I know there are several flaws but that is the learning process I suppose.

9358444324_883b5b34d8_c.jpg

My first semi-complete strap. I am still waiting for some tools to arrive to do stitching.

I used a pointed screw driver to punch the holes so far, but that is to rough.

I still have to make my own keeper, the one in the picture is not made by me.

I only made the two straps shown.

9355658021_dc9393a307_c.jpg

Edited by Blak Smyth

Almost thought I was on Iforgeiron.com for a minute. Welcome to LW.

they look great and functional to me. Don't see a reason for it to be stitched unless you like a stitched look. I have made a wide style adventurer watch band with just leather and rivets. They look great as is.

they look great and functional to me. Don't see a reason for it to be stitched unless you like a stitched look. I have made a wide style adventurer watch band with just leather and rivets. They look great as is.

I do like the stitched look. Thank you for your feedback, I may just leave some without stitching.

that's actually pretty darn good.

Abandon all hope, for you are lost. Once the leather bug bites, it's very sting is lethal beyond belief. Kiss your wife goodbye, bid farewell to offspring, and make way to your leather mecca where ever it may be. Oh! You can also say good bye to any iota of extra cash you may have had. Also get used to the idea of always waiting for the UPS truck to appear at your door. You will become like a drooling junkie, anxiously awaiting your next leather fix. No lie, I have gone to bed with an idea kind of forming at the back of my mind, and had to get up to at least outline it on paper so I could go to sleep. Sad, but true. But! Since you have now joined those of us who have no life beyond leather, a hearty welcome to you:>)

Never mind I just noticed the post date

Edited by THE BIG RED VIKING