Sign in to follow this  
ces

Finishing Belts

My first Post: I am fairly new to leather working, I have done more reading than anything else. I have made a few small items such as money clips and checkbook covers. I have now made two belts but I need some help or info about finishes, I cannot find anything about finishing the backside of the belt or what to use if anything, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, CES.

CES, first of all, welcome to Leatherworker.net. We're glad you found us. Regarding your question, my personal preference is to leave the inside of the belt unfinished. If you're careful with your dyeing and your edge finishing, you can keep it nice-looking. I like the suede feel, plus there's no color to rub off on someone's pants.

However, if you think it looks better to finish the inside, here's a recent thread where some options were discussed. I hope this information helps!

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=21578

I one of those guys who likes to line everything. So when I'm making a belt I glue a 2/3 oz lining in to cover the flesh side of the leather. I just think it looks a lot more finished and professional. However, now you have to sew the edges, so adding a lining can mean a lot more work. Like ABN said, there is nothing wrong with leaving the flesh side exposed.....just try to keep it clean.

ABN, Hidepounder,

Thanks for the replies, input, and info. I like the unfinished look myself but did not know if it was really cosher, I have several store bought and flea market belts with the backsides finished and I don't like the way it cracked and looks ugly. I have really enjoyed reading on this site, and am really enjoying this brand new hobby, wish I had started it years and years ago. With Ya'lls help I just might learn something even at my age lol. Thanks again for the replies, CES.

I one of those guys who likes to line everything. So when I'm making a belt I glue a 2/3 oz lining in to cover the flesh side of the leather. I just think it looks a lot more finished and professional. However, now you have to sew the edges, so adding a lining can mean a lot more work. Like ABN said, there is nothing wrong with leaving the flesh side exposed.....just try to keep it clean.

This has been bugging me for some time. How do you deal with the lining delaminating at or around where the buckle streches the leather at the holes?

Aaron

My first Post: I am fairly new to leather working, I have done more reading than anything else. I have made a few small items such as money clips and checkbook covers. I have now made two belts but I need some help or info about finishes, I cannot find anything about finishing the backside of the belt or what to use if anything, any info or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, CES.

Hi. I make a lot of belts out of veg tan bridle leather. This type of leather, ideal for making hard wearing jeans belts, will be finished on the flesh side at the tannery. So it depends what type of leather you are using. When you source the leather, you should check that it is finished on the flesh side, but if it is remember that you cannot then effectively dye it. Most plain tooling leather will not be finished, which is what you will get in the US. In Europe, we don't do much tooling, so hides often are dyed and finished on both sides. I agree that lining the belts the hole length solves the problem, but if you hand stitch, which is really only the best way to do it, that is a lot of work, but worth it.

JIm

Try a mixture of Neats Foot oil and the antique stain of your choice. Try it on a scrap piece of leather to get the effect you want.

Mark

The belts I make are for concealed carry or for commercial work belts. They are double layer, cemented together. flesh to flesh, and machine stitched around the edges.

All are finished with a light coat of neatsfoot oil followed by one or more coats of 50/50 Resolene/water solution.

On the rare occasion a customer wants only a single layer, . . . he gets one that has everything else done the same way. Resolene effectively blocks any dye transfer from what I have seen, . . . and protects the belt from other liquids that would mess with it.

Just my $.02

May God bless,

Dwight