Sign in to follow this  
mjhayesleather

Setting Boot Hooks

Does anyone have a good method of setting boot hooks without the use of a press? Is there a handheld setting tool available or something I could fabricate? I would really appreciate any of your ideas. –Matt

Matt : try setting the boot hooks with a 'durable dot line 24' snap setter or with a tublar rivet setter,

you know you will have to be careful not to smash the hooks.........

someone else might know more than me..........good luck

Edited by Luke Hatley

Luke, I already tried line 20, 24, durable dot and eyelet setters but none worked. Thanks for the input though.

Matt,

Try contacting OTB (Ohio Travel Bag) 1-800-800-1941. They don't have a hand tool but the anvil and base (T-1294 & T-1295) for the press should be able to be modified to work. Good luck with your search.

Indy

Thanks Indy.

Does anyone have a good method of setting boot hooks without the use of a press? Is there a handheld setting tool available or something I could fabricate? I would really appreciate any of your ideas. –Matt

I found a piece of metal that would fit tight into the boot hook. I then rested the boot hook on a couple of pieces of scrap leather on my anvil. I was then able to use a snap setter to flare the back end.

PeterD, I did exactly what you did but not with the same results. My hook did not flare on the end like a snap does, the shaft just compressed. I have tried two brands of hooks but maybe I need to look for one with a thinner walled shaft. Do you remember who you purchased your boot hooks from? Thanks for the help. -Matt

PeterD, I did exactly what you did but not with the same results. My hook did not flare on the end like a snap does, the shaft just compressed. I have tried two brands of hooks but maybe I need to look for one with a thinner walled shaft. Do you remember who you purchased your boot hooks from? Thanks for the help. -Matt

I don't remember. In order to make it work I started with the smallest setter and light tapping to get the flare to start, then progresses to the larger ones keepting the flare going. However I have found boot hooks that use two rivets and that is much easier. Nor sure where I got them I have two types; a weathered looking brass and a black type.