jayjay

Help With Braid

Hello all

I want to make a simple 4 part round braid for a biker style wallet instead of a chain. I understand the braiding part but my question is how to finish it. I plan on starting with (2) 1/4" strands ran through belt loop clasp to give me 4 strands to braid but no sure how or terminology of how to secure key ring on other end. Any help with terminology or suggestions would be great. P.S. simple preferred as I don't do much braiding.

Thank you all in advance

You want to turn the braid back on it's self and interweave the ends with the previously braided stuff. I would generally then cover that part with a button. Look at how this tells to make the handle for a leash. Just use a smaller loop. http://myriam.dakotabraiding.com/Tutorials/Leash/Leash.html

Or you could make a terminal knot in the end that you braid around your ring. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19613&hl=%2Bterminal+%2Bknot

Thanks Megabit. I watched some u tube videos and I think I will attempt the crown knot.

About 5 years ago I bought a book called "Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding" by Bruce Grant. Outstanding book. The public library even has it. I checked it out so many times I just decided to go to Tandy and buy it. Glad I did.

Tom

Edited by carr52

The Grant encyclopedia is a good reference to have, but if folks really want to learn from good pictures and illustrations, there are much better books to choose from out there. For instance, Braiding Fine Leather by David Morgan covers the question asked by the OP two years ago. :) Hopefully they've long figured it out by now, but hopefully this will help someone else with the same question.