DoubleC

How To Store Leather

I am getting my first big (to me) piece of veg tanned leather and it will probably take me at least a month to use it. Before a friend sent me large scraps that fit in a Medium priority mail box so that's where I left it. This is a 4' square piece (ok, quit with the howls, snickers and giggles :-) but I don't know if I should stand it up or lay it down. Thanks, Cheryl

I leave mine rolled up in a box, tooling side in. That will keep it from getting scuffed up and keep it out of the light so there's no other tanning happening to it. I keep all my leather, scraps and all, in a large tote. I did the same research before I started ordering large pieces and came up with mixed answers. But, most did say to keep it out of the sunlight and at least try to cover it up. Just remember how easily the tooling side can get marked up and take the proper precautions and you'll be fine, especially if you expect to use it all up pretty quick.

Thanks Allen. I have a cabinet in my bedroom/workshop and I can roll it up and put it in there which will keep it out of the light. It's just a small piece, big to me though :-) And it will take me at least a month I imagine as pokey as I am to use it. I wouldn't have thought of rolling the flesh side in or keeping it out of the sun though. Cheryl

Some people said to cover it with a sheet or something as well to keep the dust off and the light out. I haven't seen any real need to with keeping it the way I do. I've gotten so much mileage out of the "scrap" pieces that I just now started cutting into that last side I bought.

I just got it, and it was rolled flesh side out so I just took a quick look and put it in the cabinet. It can lie straight that way and be out of the sun, like I'd know what that is. I think it's rained here about 2 years.....Cheryl

I keep mine rolled skin side out. and standing on end IN a box that can keep it from unrolling. I don't like rolling it the other way because it causes the surface to wrinkle and there is NO way to get that out.

FWIW - Rolled skin side out in a cardboard packing/postal tube (9cm diameter and 85cm length)

You're both right, it came the other way and already has wrinkles. So I will roll it the other way. Thanks, Cheryl

maybe it's just the heavier leather or the looseness of the roll (8" or so diameter roll), but I don't have a single wrinkle in mine and that's how it came to me.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

Well I didn't know about the wrinkles so I think I rolled it even tighter for the cabinet. It's only 6-7oz because I compromised on the weight between making a guitar strap (normally next size lighter) and two camp stools for the farmers market (normally next size heavier). That's how it was sent to me too Allen. Going to reroll it right now because was answering other threads and already forgot.