Heritage Softail

New Member From Maryland

Hi everyone, beginner here, been hanging around the forums for a couple weeks and watching a lot of videos on youtube. I'm pretty excited to get started here but could use a little guidance to get me going on the right track. I think I'd like to get started making some tool bags for motorcycles, stuff like that. I've learned that when you tool leather, you should go with veg-tanned leather. I'd like to start practicing tooling, but I'm more concerned with fabricating leather items right now without the design, until I become proficiant tooling. For something like tool bags that get a lot of weather abuse, do i want to go with veg-tanned leather or something else? I plan on looking for tools on ebay, are there any tools I want to stay away from or certain things I should watch out for?

Welcome,

What part of Maryland are you in?

Welcome to the forum H/S.

Hi there! ;)

Hi everyone, beginner here, been hanging around the forums for a couple weeks and watching a lot of videos on youtube. I'm pretty excited to get started here but could use a little guidance to get me going on the right track. I think I'd like to get started making some tool bags for motorcycles, stuff like that. I've learned that when you tool leather, you should go with veg-tanned leather. I'd like to start practicing tooling, but I'm more concerned with fabricating leather items right now without the design, until I become proficiant tooling. For something like tool bags that get a lot of weather abuse, do i want to go with veg-tanned leather or something else? I plan on looking for tools on ebay, are there any tools I want to stay away from or certain things I should watch out for?

Welcome HS. While you're at it, check out Tandy's new education site: http://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/ they have some good videos, patterns, etc. Also check out Paul Barnett's website: http://www.paintingcow.com he has some great tutorials and if you sign up for the newsletter (discontinued) you can access the previous articles that have some great technique and project tutorials. As for the tool bags, etc. Veg-Tan will stand up perfectly fine as long as you finish it off with a good quality finish/protective top coat. Resolene and Leather Balm with Atom Wax are two good ones. Pecard makes a great motorcycle weatherproofing dressing that can be used over them to further the weather protection. As for tools, many of the tools on ebay are simply Tandy tools that have been used and then sold by folks that inherit them/buy them at estate sales. When buying lots you'll usually end up with many duplicates or ones you won't be able to use. Best bet is to just go to Tandy directly, buy the right tools the first time and then as your learning curve expands you can invest in better/more expensive tools. Now is a good time for it also, as Tandy is coming out with an improved line of tools and many of the current stock are on clearance.

Welcome aboard HS:red_bandana:

I didn't know they had stripes on their parking lots out there. That place has grown up since my last visit (42 years ago).

About buying tools on eBay.

A lot of folks say it is Gomph when it isn't.

Somehow, they make the pictures look great, but they aren't.

Some auctions are 75% awls, nobody needs that many awls.

Sometimes there is a gem buried under other tools, those are auctions I bid on.

Watch out for Tandy resellers, they are selling for often much more than you can buy it from Tandy.

Determine what tools you need, then contact Bruce Johnson or Vandy Douglas of Sheridan Leather Outfitters 888.803.3030 to buy tools that are used in great shape or reconditioned to very good shape. Springfield Leather is a good place for some of the Osborne tools and also some of the Tandy level stuff. Kevin will also cut leather if you are on a budget and if you are creative and can sew, the scrap bags are great.

You are better off with a good Gomph, Osborne (preferable Newark), Douglas, or other older quality edger or other tool than a newer lesser quality brand. However there are high quality newer tools like Ron's tools.

There is much data about knives in other posts, search for them.

Art

Western Maryland, Washington County