Hi all!!!!!

After you are done with tooling and want to possible stain your work, what is the correct sequence of procedure? I've heard stories of neatsfoot oil and Super Shene. Also, when do you do the edges? Any and all advice (just a general would be great) will be appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff;

Here's a topic on how folks dye their belts.......and what they use for finish.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...1&hl=oiling

As for when to dye the edges, I dye after the belt has been dyed and before I put the final top coat on, whatever it may be.

Russ

If you want to stain it you don't want to put a finish on it first. That will inhibit the stain. If you want to darken or enrich the color I always mix Bick's #4(or neatsfoot oil if you have it) with a dye like walnut, british tan,or my favorite, chocolate.

I prefer Bick's because it mixes beautifully and completely- no chance of splotches when you apply it. Don't need a whole lot of dye- I use about a tablespoon for every 2 full plastic measuring cups that you get on medicine bottles like Robitussin, Nyquil, etc. You can always make another pass if it's not dark enough. By the way- Bick's will totally soften and treat the leather like Lexol or neatsfoot but will not darken it at all.

Let it dry and than apply an acrylic if you want to antique it.

To get the BEST finish- apply the antique( Bick's makes it come off REALLY easily),rub with paper towel, go over itt with a sheep scrap, to remove the extra "gunk" in the deep spots/cuts, and then rub the heck out of it with a tee shirt or paper towel to really bring out a shine and luster.

For me, the last part has been the difference between a nice finish and a finish like you see in the Sheridan books on carving. The leather is shiny and glows like a perfectly shined pair of expensive shoes.

stay the course!

pete

Russ- Thans for the link I will take a look at it after I write this.

Pete- This is the first time I have heard someone mention Bick's. I use Bick's on my tack for the same reasons you mentioned, no darkening while still keeping the leather soft.

Thanks again and when I get my project completed I will post it for laughs!!!!!

Jeff