Schpacko

Cutting Very Thick Leather

Hi guys

I use very thick veg tan leather for my belts (14 oz). I simply use a straight edge and a knife to cut the straps.

It "kinda works", but it's a real pain. I own this strap cutter but its just impossible to cut leather that thick.

I have seen strap cutters on ebay germany, like this one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Riemenschneider-15cm-Breite-Sattler-Schuster-Leder-Gummi-Messer-Riemen-/150671132377?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3373665544420422217

Do you think this would work?

How do you use this tool? Just pulling like the other ones?

cheers

Schpacko

I use both about every day. With the blade sharp enough, both will cut belt width straps. The differenece between the two is in the design.

The draw gauge is pulled. The blade on the end of the bar means the wider the cut, the more torque there is on your wrist to keep it straight if the leather is hard or the blade is dull. You should be able to easily pull the blade into the leather. If you have to push it in to get a start, the blade is too dull. The leather has to be off the table to use a draw gauge.

The plough gauge is pushed into the leather and the blade is in line with your wrist. No matter the width, there is no torque. The roller in front of the blade keeps the leather from riding up the blade also. The leather lays flat on the table with a plough gauge.

Hi guys

I use very thick veg tan leather for my belts (14 oz). I simply use a straight edge and a knife to cut the straps.

It "kinda works", but it's a real pain. I own this strap cutter but its just impossible to cut leather that thick.

I have seen strap cutters on ebay germany, like this one:

http://www.ebay.de/i...665544420422217

Do you think this would work?

How do you use this tool? Just pulling like the other ones?

cheers

Schpacko

Schpacko. I use a tool that cuts any weight of leather with ease. I stumbled upon this tool while trying to cut some 12 oz leather and had a hard time getting a straight edge until the ideal light bulb came on and I used my 60" matt cutter. I also picture frame so I have a 60" matt cutter . with a new blade and If the leather is 60" of less in width or length ,it will cut it like butter with a hot knife no matter the thichness. try it ,it does work. now i use it to cut my edge straight and to cut the strips. works like a charm. ~~~~~~Gary

I use this one every day with great results. I mainly work with latigo in the 13-14 oz range. My most recent hides I'm cutting on is closer to 16 which is a lot heavier than I usually use. I've never used a draw gauge so I can't comment on those.

strapctrtn2.gif

I use this one every day with great results. I mainly work with latigo in the 13-14 oz range. My most recent hides I'm cutting on is closer to 16 which is a lot heavier than I usually use. I've never used a draw gauge so I can't comment on those.

strapctrtn2.gif

An excellent tool! I've been using the same one for thirty years, and never had a problem (and I regularly use 16oz oak-tanned hide)!

Edited by celticleather

I just learned during the Texas show (I am sure that it has been out for quite some time) that Leather Wranglers sells a blade for that strap cutter you have and I will tell you something. That blade attachment is sharp and will cut that 14oz like butter. Take a look at their website. They are known for their round knifes and primarily their SK-3 Swivel Knifes.

Good luck!

An excellent tool! I've been using the same one for thirty years, and never had a problem (and I regularly use 16oz oak-tanned hide)!

I guess you're talking about this leather: ;)

http://i.imgur.com/UOzdZ.jpg

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I'll give the wooden one a try and if the price of the plough on ebay doesnt get too high, i'll probably

buy this one too.

Edited by Schpacko

I have a couple of Tandy ones that are made of Aluminum, they work very well on belt size pieces. However, on anything over 1.5" a plow works much better. I have a Blanchard plow I use for everything except very narrow stuff and my draw gauges and strap cutters collect a lot of dust. I used to keep a draw or strap cutter for all the different belt sizes so I didn't have to play with them, but the plow is just easy to adjust, leather lays flat on the bench when cutting too.

Art

strapctrtn2.gif

Unfortunately, the price of the plough gauge went up too high, but in the meantime, i received the one pictured above.

Damn, that thing works fine! I've seen this tool before, but i just couldnt imagine that it would work that good, so i didnt buy it. earlier.

Thanks for the tipp guys.

BTW: how much would you pay for a used plough gauge in good condition?

cheers

Schpacko

awesome! A few tips for you.

When the blade gets dull, just loosen the screws on the end and push the blade up a little. If it sticks out the top a little, be very careful! Your fingers will thank you. You can push it the other way when it get dull again. This essentially will triple the life of your blades. I don't know how many blades I've thrown away before discovering this.

When cutting straps, especially from thin stuff, put slight inward pressure on the strap cutter , and with your other hand keep some tension on the new strap. It is very easy, especially with a new blade, for the cutter to walk away from the leather and mess up your strap. This is especially magnified with lighter weight leather. If your screw it up enough, you'll have to cut a new straight edge.

If mine broke, I would replace it today. It is one of the more useful tool I have for what I do,

John

awesome! A few tips for you.

When the blade gets dull, just loosen the screws on the end and push the blade up a little. If it sticks out the top a little, be very careful! Your fingers will thank you. You can push it the other way when it get dull again. This essentially will triple the life of your blades. I don't know how many blades I've thrown away before discovering this.

When cutting straps, especially from thin stuff, put slight inward pressure on the strap cutter , and with your other hand keep some tension on the new strap. It is very easy, especially with a new blade, for the cutter to walk away from the leather and mess up your strap. This is especially magnified with lighter weight leather. If your screw it up enough, you'll have to cut a new straight edge.

If mine broke, I would replace it today. It is one of the more useful tool I have for what I do,

John

Thank you very much. I think i need some more practice, but it works already pretty good.

Cheers

Schpacko

Unfortunately, the price of the plough gauge went up too high, but in the meantime, i received the one pictured above.

Damn, that thing works fine! I've seen this tool before, but i just couldn't imagine that it would work that good, so i didn't buy it. earlier.

Thanks for the tip guys.

BTW: how much would you pay for a used plough gauge in good condition?

cheers

Schpacko

Plough gauges are not cheap. I have seen them sell for 3 or 4 hundred US dollars. I can't imagine what it would sell for in Euros.

Might be less expensive, Dixon is in England and Blanchard is in France.

Art

Plough gauges are not cheap. I have seen them sell for 3 or 4 hundred US dollars. I can't imagine what it would sell for in Euros.

The last I checked the Dixons are about the USD equivalent of $610 for a 5 inch from Abbey's and about $1100 ffrom Leffler's in Australia. That probably accounts for the reason why I had a backlog of Australians looking for Dixons. I heard from a guy in Florida a couple months ago that bought a new Blanchard from someplace for $550.

Edit - I had an email that today the Dixons are just under $500 USD equivalent and the Vergez-Blanchards are within a few dollars on website pricing.

Have a question, who handles this cutter? I tried doing a search, and couldn't find it.

Thanks,

Terry

strapctrtn2.gif

The wooden strap cutter pictured is the real thing and they are available on a quick search from Springfield Leather - one of the banner advertisers at the top of the page.

I have one of the original ones, from back in the '80s. It's all I use. A wonderful, simple cutter that does a fantastic job for the very few dollars it costs. :party26:

The wooden strap cutter pictured is the real thing and they are available on a quick search from Springfield Leather - one of the banner advertisers at the top of the page.

Thanks Bruce. I looked at Springfield Leather, but I guess I missed it.

Terry

Thanks Bruce. I looked at Springfield Leather, but I guess I missed it.

Terry

Terry, they are on the second page of cutting tools and blades. Here's a link > Strap cutter

We normally use a lock blade utility knife for cutting rounded saddle parts, but for straps and strings I found a small 2-3 blade manual hand crank cutter that is adjustable. It works just like our big electric models but it's perfect for small jobs or just cutting out a couple of tie straps. I know Weaver has a larger one for 1295.00 and if you were cutting out several belts it would pay you to go that route.