Sign in to follow this  
jlb

Sharpening Stone

Hi all!

Nice to finally get my leatherworker fix. I'm looking for suggestions on sharpening stones. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. I have a local outdoor store with a wide variety of stones, but I thought I'd get all of you suggestions before I head up there

Jeff

Intially I will be starting with a swivel knife, but as my experience grows I know I will want to purchase a round knife.

Jeff

Jeff,

For my swivel knives, I use a system marketed by Chuck Smith.

Smith & Company

2260 Cold Canyon Road

Calabasas, California 91302

Phone (818) 222-5757

Fax (818) 222-5758

well If I were you and I was going to buy stones..I'd try to find ones that have a large surface. if you are eventually planning to get a round knife you'll need the large area to do your sharpening, you really won't need the really coarse stones..med is fine to get the first edge and then going to a fine stone...then I use 500 and 1000 grit sand paper if I need to touch up the blade before stropping it I use sand paper on my swivel knife blades as well. there are also several types of kits you can buy for sharpening round knives that attach to bench grinders. they work really well but you have to be careful not to heat the blade up too much, or you'll risk losing to temper of the steel.

Dave

well If I were you and I was going to buy stones..I'd try to find ones that have a large surface. if you are eventually planning to get a round knife you'll need the large area to do your sharpening, you really won't need the really coarse stones..med is fine to get the first edge and then going to a fine stone...then I use 500 and 1000 grit sand paper if I need to touch up the blade before stropping it I use sand paper on my swivel knife blades as well. there are also several types of kits you can buy for sharpening round knives that attach to bench grinders. they work really well but you have to be careful not to heat the blade up too much, or you'll risk losing to temper of the steel.

Dave

Where can you buy the attachment to fit to a bench grinder for sharpening round knives and what are they called or what name are they marketed under?

Tony

Jeff,

I would suggest a TRI-HONE for starters. This will give you the course medium and fine grits to successfully sharpen a swivel knife. Once you get them sharp, you can keep them sharp by stropping it on 2000 grit sand paper, then on a strip of manilla folder rubbed with jeweler's rouge.

You can't get the tri-hone from Tandy anymore, Hidecrafters may have some. I have also seen them at Woodcraft Stores. The sandpaper you can get at any auto supply, or walmart in the automotive repair section.

I just use the sandpaper now to sharpen my swivel knives. I use 800, 1200, and 2000 grit progressively and it gives me what I want. For my head knife, I use diamond stones to put the edge on then go to the same sandpaper as a strop, and finish off with a leather strop rubbed with jeweler's rouge. I get the diamond stones from Woodcraft.

Marlon