BMV

Corded Leather Strap

Hi.

Lots of know-how on these forums, so I thought I'd try my luck.... I am (now desperately) trying to figure out the best way to make these straps for a handbag. I've heard that I need a special machine OR just a special foot. Then I heard that back in the day, handbag manufacturers would have one specifically made...it would feed/wrap the leather around the cording AND cut the edge off at the same time.

So..... does anyone know where I can buy one? Have it made? Or another way to sew it? Any ideas? Help.

Thanks in advance!

post-15220-127722748007_thumb.jpg

post-15220-127722750234_thumb.jpg

Hi.

Lots of know-how on these forums, so I thought I'd try my luck.... I am (now desperately) trying to figure out the best way to make these straps for a handbag. I've heard that I need a special machine OR just a special foot. Then I heard that back in the day, handbag manufacturers would have one specifically made...it would feed/wrap the leather around the cording AND cut the edge off at the same time.

So..... does anyone know where I can buy one? Have it made? Or another way to sew it? Any ideas? Help.

Thanks in advance!

I just made one for a rope can. I wrapped the leather around a cord and sewed(on a Tippman) THROUGH the edge of the cord as close as I could to the edge. I trimmed it and burnished it and the edges are closer than I could have done with a special machine. Came out great with a leather handle that almost looks like a round piece of leather.

pete

I just made one for a rope can. I wrapped the leather around a cord and sewed(on a Tippman) THROUGH the edge of the cord as close as I could to the edge. I trimmed it and burnished it and the edges are closer than I could have done with a special machine. Came out great with a leather handle that almost looks like a round piece of leather.

pete

Hi Pete.

Did you use a special foot?

I did the same thing as Pete. I put some barge cement on a strip of leather and then wrapped it around a cord. I put a stitching groove in it and hand sewed it. I am a glutton for punishment I guess and I don't have a machine.

When I was restoring a car a few years back I need a door seal made from the same material I cover the seats. I took the material to the upholsterer and he had a "half foot" on his sewing machine. It was like a normal presser foot but with one side almost ground off. He wrapped the material around a foam rope core and then could sew super close to the core with that foot.

I hope Steve from Cobra machines sees your question because I am sure he or one of the many sewing machine users could answer it best.

I just heard of another way... sew the leather flat (without a cord), THEN pull the cord in through it with a wire hanger.... not sure with what difficulty but worth a try.

Thanks guys, I'll see which works best!!! :)

Hi.

Thanks in advance!

BVM;

There are special cording/welting feet available for just about every type of sewing machine. They come in various sizes, to place the stitch right next to the right edge of a covered cord. Just figure out which diameter you need for a cord covered with the leather your want to use and order it online. Bob Kovar stocks a good selection of welting feet, at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

I have welting/cording feet for my household and walking foot machines. The walking foot and straight stitch industrial machines have a wide range of sizes available, from 1/8" to over 1/2" diameter covered cords.

post-11118-127732610267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wizcrafts

BVM;

There are special cording/welting feet available for just about every type of sewing machine. They come in various sizes, to place the stitch right next to the right edge of a covered cord. Just figure out which diameter you need for a cord covered with the leather your want to use and order it online. Bob Kovar stocks a good selection of welting feet, at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

I have welting/cording feet for my household and walking foot machines. The walking foot and straight stitch industrial machines have a wide range of sizes available, from 1/8" to over 1/2" diameter covered cords.

post-11118-127732610267_thumb.jpg

Wizcrafts.

I've been hoping to find a cording foot that will ALSO trim my excess simultaneously with a nice straight edge....but I guess I think that's TOO much wishful thinking... lol.

On my way to buy a cording foot in the meantime! :D