Sign in to follow this  
Nicolau

Championship belt straps

Hello, everyone. My name is Mike, and I was hoping I could ask a few questions. I've been browsing the forum and you all seem very knowledgable; I've already learned a lot just from reading through the threads. Please excuse me if I'm in the wrong forum or if I'm overstepping my bounds, but I really need help. I'm currently in the process of making my own championship belts and I want to make sure I get everything just right.

Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of what I'm trying to create:

ringdivas3.jpg

ringdivas2.jpg

ringdivas.jpg

I think I'm pretty good on the tooling part, but the leather conditioners and finishes have me confused. I really like the glossy finish on the belt I posted above, so I was hoping someone might be able to help steer me in the right direction on what type of finish or polish to use. I've heard Tan Kote, Resolene, and Sheen... not sure which one would work best.

Also, it's important on these belts that the leather is soft and flexible. Should I use saddle soap on the leather before I start cutting and stamping it? Do I use neatsfoot oil before or after I dye? What type of finish should I use?

And one more quick question: I keep hearing the term "casing" the leather, but I'm not sure what it means. I'm using veg. tanned 7-8oz. tooling leather (sides). Is casing something I need to be concerned with?

Thank you very much in advance!

Mike

Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I really don't know much in the way of conditioning or finishing leather, But of all the questions you asked above, I think it would be safe to say that casing is one of the most important factors in carving and tooling the leather. Casing is wetting the leather to the proper moisture content so that it will accept and hold the tooling. There are probably hundreds of ways of doing this and everyone has their own favorite way that works best for them, So i won't get into the particulars as I am very inconsistant with my casing methods right now.

Iwould think it would be a good idea to do a search of the threads for anything on casing. Also you can go to Paul Burnett's website http://www.paintingcow.com/ and sign up for his free lessons, which will give you access to his previous lessons, The lesson from November 2007 is all about casing and proper leather humidity.

As far as finishing and conditioning, I only have experience with sheen, which will remain flexible while giving a shine. And I also now use alot, Mink oil buffed to a shine which gives a nice hand buffed finish. My opinion on the best finish for something like that belt would probably be a few coats of sheen sprayed on to achieve the level of closs you're looking for. Again, I Don't have a lot of experience with finishing and I'm sure someone will come along with much better advice than I have given. Hope this helps anyway.

John

Thanks, John. I did not know that's what casing meant. With the scrap leather I'm practicing on now, I just sort of wet it as needed. It seems to be working pretty well so far.

As for the sheen, I think I'll try with the spray like you mentioned. I think if I hit it with some saddle soap first, tool it, dye it, hit with neatsfoot oil and a few coats of the sheen, I should be good. It should be soft and flexible with a nice shine finish.

I'd like to eventually try the Tan-Kote or Bag-Kote, but I wouldn't know which one to go with. I'd like to try 'em all, but I have to order online and I don't want to break the bank.

Thanks again,

Mike

Does anyone know what kind of finish might achieve that look? I'm not sure if it's a high-gloss or just a normal satin finish...

154 views and 1 reply? Did I do something wrong?

I've used alot of Fiebing acrylic spray and think I'd dare to give it a go on a project like this but I'm currently testing Fiebings leather sheene wich produces a better look, I think. The spray look a little too plastic I think but my customers have loved the finish. I have items that's about 6-7 years old with that and still looks good.

Leather sheen is new to me but I like the look better with it, I just don't know how it will hold up for the future, concerns I have is about cracking when leather is bent throughout use and possible wear off over time and such. Leather sheen is also acrylic but has a milder look to it and comes in liquid form. Doesn't smell very bad (the spray is awful) and I can easily apply it with a sponge and cloth.

I tested Supersheene a couple of times but didn't like the look of it.

Tom

Black Die, shoe polish and a bucket of elbow grease!!!!!!!!!!

;)

154 views and 1 reply? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for the replies, guys. Here are some pics of what I've been up to. It's in the very early practicing stage, but I'm having a blast with it.

The black piece you see was spray-paint, just because I wanted to see it in black and I haven't bought dye yet. :)

DSCF3431.jpg

DSCF3433.jpg

DSCF3432.jpg

DSCF3429.jpg

DSCF3427.jpg

I'm open to any and all suggestions, pointers, critiques, and secrets. I've never done anything like this before and I'm just sort of learning as I go...