azrider

Using A Brand On Leather

I have a customer that wants a piece of leather with a date and a border tooled. They will be adding a brand to it. I had a couple of questions I couldn't find answers to on searches:

• Is Veg Tan the right leather for this? The brand is full sized for livestock. I am concerned it’s going to catch on fire while they brand it. (I won’t be there.)
  • Does the leather need to be damp?
  • Should it already be finished?
  • Does the branded area need to be sealed after it is done?

Edited by azrider

Have a duplicate post. Could a mod delete one of them. Having trouble getting the formatting to work.

[*]Is Veg Tan the right leather for this? The brand is full sized for livestock. I am concerned it’s going to catch on fire while they brand it. (I won’t be there.)

Yes

[*]Does the leather need to be damp?

Yes

[*]Should it already be finished?

Not necessarily, will make it harder to dampen.

[*]Does the branded area need to be sealed after it is done?

Would not hurt but not critical. Sort of depends on what it is going to be exposed to.

Holding a hot branding iron on too long will burn right through the leather. The thinner the leather ... Easier to burn through. Also leather shrivels up and shrinks. Just touch the iron and remove. If not dark enough, reapply for another touch. They should do some practice on some cut offs from the same piece first. To be able to reapply in the same position takes some practice. May be worthwhile to make a template guide clamped in position. 1/4" tempered hardboard is easy to cut and work with, and won't catch fire easily. At least for the short time the hot iron needs to be against it.

Tom