Sign in to follow this  
want2braid

Laced Vaquero Style Rawhide Hobbles

These hobbles are my first all rawhide braiding project. They are 8 plait body, laced together, 10 bight turks head with herringbone interweave in an over 2 under 2 pattern on the terminal knots, 8 bight turkshead with herringbone interweave in an over 2 under 2 pattern on the slide knots, and 8 bight turkshead with herringbone interweave in an over 3 under 3 pattern for the keeper knots. I would like to get some input on how to improve my rawhide braiding from other braiders and leather workers.

Thanks,

Brentpost-18346-092601600 1296669679_thumb.jppost-18346-013866400 1296669702_thumb.jppost-18346-072536500 1296669714_thumb.jppost-18346-015685000 1296670051_thumb.jp

The ONLY thing that I can see that you should work on is there is a slight twist to your pineapple knots. This is something I struggle with constantly and I think it comes during the interweaves. I try and make sure that my strings are straight as possible before I do an interweave, and then when I am done, the knot has a twist to it. Not sure why this happens or how to fix it so sorry I cant add advice, but I did see it. I think you did an awesome job in your lace preparation, braiding, and lacing.

I was wondering where you got that ring though. I think its great for hobbles since its wider and flat.

Great job on these!

CW

You are well on your way, just keep at it. Are those the same pair me and Charly saw in Elko?

Those are looking good. Keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks for sharing

Rob

Thanks! I really try to get everything strait before I start the interweave. The terminal knots were tricky with the shape. Later I saw most people back off of the bights and build up to over 3 under3 or over 4 under 4 and even then add one row of color to fill in the space. I had more trouble building up to over 3 under 3 of keeping the straghtness. ANy suggestions? The ring I used is actually two rings side by side. I saw some Ortega hobbles in Santa Ynez like that, and really liked it. So I did it as well... Thanks again.

The ONLY thing that I can see that you should work on is there is a slight twist to your pineapple knots. This is something I struggle with constantly and I think it comes during the interweaves. I try and make sure that my strings are straight as possible before I do an interweave, and then when I am done, the knot has a twist to it. Not sure why this happens or how to fix it so sorry I cant add advice, but I did see it. I think you did an awesome job in your lace preparation, braiding, and lacing.

I was wondering where you got that ring though. I think its great for hobbles since its wider and flat.

Great job on these!

CW

Thanks! I appreciate that.

Agreed, those look really nice!

Thank you Rob for taking a look. I appeciate it. Ill post some more items as time permits!!!

Those are looking good. Keep doing what you're doing.

Thanks for sharing

Rob

Yes it is. Thanks for all of your input. I appreciate it. If you send me your email address or I can tag your pics in facebook of you in Elko, if you'd like them???

You are well on your way, just keep at it. Are those the same pair me and Charly saw in Elko?