Ladyghost4459

How Do I Get Rid Of Shiny Finish?

1622050_10201467757764871_1404013219_n.j

1888612_10201467758604892_2010169221_n.j

I purchase some leather for a project I am doing and realized when I got home that it has a shiny finish, but I like the color. How can I remove the shiny finish without changing the color?

Edited by Ladyghost4459

In two words, . . . "you're not".

The shiny finish is the hair side of the animal skin, . . . devoid of hair of course, . . . and is just like your skin, . . . your forehead when you look in the mirror.

The tanning processes developed down through the years have worked to emphasize and bring out the natural luster of the leather, . . . and quite frankly, the effect you are asking for would have to destroy or seriously alter the top layer of the leather, . . . seriously weakening and changing the material.

If you do not want shine, . . . use suede leather.

May God bless,

Dwight

The shinny side is a "finish" much like a dye job. I have purchased matte finished leathers before and was hoping to have a way to get the glossy finish off of the dyed skin.

Take a sample piece and try a little rubbing alcohol on a sponge. That might wipe a little off or at least dull it a little. If that doesn't do it, try a little acetone or nail polish remover - just a little. I use alcohol and acetone to strip bad finishes for repairs and you can remove just a little or you can start to remove the dye. You'll probably want to oil after this because it can dry out the leather.