Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

Deciding on thread color?

OK so how do you guys decide what thread color to use in your projects. (for hand stitching)

I know its usually either natural/brown/black unless you dye your own. I just seem to get stuck alot of times wondering if white/natural would look best or black would look better, would having the stitching hide be good or have it stand out and add to the project.

Or do you guys just wing it and call it good :red_bandana:

OK so how do you guys decide what thread color to use in your projects. (for hand stitching)

I know its usually either natural/brown/black unless you dye your own. I just seem to get stuck alot of times wondering if white/natural would look best or black would look better, would having the stitching hide be good or have it stand out and add to the project.

Or do you guys just wing it and call it good red_bandana.gif

MADMAXX, I feel that the stitching should show, it (to me) is an integral part of the whole project. I have dyed my thread in the past...didn't care much for it. I have used white occasionally but only in a limited number of cases...it is very showy but can easily be overwhelming. You must be cautious with it as well as black. Black can produce too much contrast and look as inapropriate or 'cheap' in my opinion as can white. Natural seems to be the one I use the most, it contrasts well with most dye jobs but dark brown can also produce a pleasing contrast on light or natural colored leather. I'm throwing a few pics in as examples. The black rig was done a lonnnng time ago. The pic is a digital of an old 35mm photo I took back then as is the little pancake with dyed thread. The inlayed holster is with dark brown and the rest are with natural. Hope this helps a little. Mike

P.S. Of course my advice is worth about what you paid for it. spoton.gif

001-12.jpg

002-10.jpg

008-1.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

Thanks a bunch, oh and the best advice usually is the free kind.

MADMAXX, I feel that the stitching should show, it (to me) is an integral part of the whole project. I have dyed my thread in the past...didn't care much for it. I have used white occasionally but only in a limited number of cases...it is very showy but can easily be overwhelming. You must be cautious with it as well as black. Black can produce too much contrast and look as inapropriate or 'cheap' in my opinion as can white. Natural seems to be the one I use the most, it contrasts well with most dye jobs but dark brown can also produce a pleasing contrast on light or natural colored leather. I'm throwing a few pics in as examples. The black rig was done a lonnnng time ago. The pic is a digital of an old 35mm photo I took back then as is the little pancake with dyed thread. The inlayed holster is with dark brown and the rest are with natural. Hope this helps a little. Mike

Couldn't agree more Mike! I also think the stitching is another decorative aspect of your project. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who thinks contrasting thread can look cheap! Thread color should blend with and compliment the leather color. I think stitch length plays a part also...too long of a stitch looks untidy, especially when negotiating curves and corners.