Sign in to follow this  
Double U Leather

Floral spur straps

Here's a set of floral spur straps I just finished. Not near as much bling as the pink ones from the other day, but then I bet alot more bulldoggers would buy these than the pink ones!! Let me know what ya'll think.

sheridan_spur_strap_flat.jpg

post-7660-1247873359_thumb.jpg

Nice job on those. If only they had some pink bling!! :rofl: Really, Nice work !! Are they lined? Could you show a picture of the back to show how you assembled them? There are so many ways to attatch buckles & straps, I like to see how others are doing it.

Rick J.

Here ya go Ricky. And, yes they are lined with 2-3 oz. veg tan leather. The straps themselves are 8-9 oz. HO. As you can see, the buckle straps are latigo that are skived down. Thanks for the compliments, and if you have any other questions, just ask.

sheridan_spur_strap_inside.jpg

post-7660-1247880431_thumb.jpg

Here ya go Ricky. And, yes they are lined with 2-3 oz. veg tan leather. The straps themselves are 8-9 oz. HO. As you can see, the buckle straps are latigo that are skived down. Thanks for the compliments, and if you have any other questions, just ask.

Thanks for posting the back side of them, they look good, that is how I have done them as well but instead of latigo I used rawhide. It holds up real well too.

The edge dressing needs a little help. You might try a dauber that has been lit on fire. Ya, on FIRE. This is a trick someone showed me and it burns away all of the stray fibers that goober up the side.

A. In a safe place (like a sink) light a new dauber with a match or lighter, let it burn about 4 or 5 seconds, then blow it out.

B. when cool, use you fingers to remove ashes. What is left is a tight ball of fuzz with no stray's to mess up your work.

C. If you want it smaller and tighter, repeat A.

Rick J.

Thanks for the tip....I already do that however. Perhaps I just didn't have enough Copenhagen in and my hands were shaky!!! LOL

Rookie,

Good job on the straps! What I like best is that you planned your pattern so that the vine would cross over your keeper. That is the type of planning that makes a piece stand out from the rest.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I guess I gotta be honest at this point. I didn't plan for the vine to be where it was. I was simply trying to draw the circles in a way that would give the most coverage. However, I will go write down where the wing dividers were set to make it turn out that way again if need be. BTW, I posted the insides of the briefcase the other day if you were interested in seeing how I did that.

Thanks Bob. I guess I gotta be honest at this point. I didn't plan for the vine to be where it was. I was simply trying to draw the circles in a way that would give the most coverage. However, I will go write down where the wing dividers were set to make it turn out that way again if need be. BTW, I posted the insides of the briefcase the other day if you were interested in seeing how I did that.

That's funny! You shouldn't have told me, LOL! I went back and looked again and I could see where it worked out better on one strap than the other.

Bob

Bob....now can I keep my name "leatherrookie"? I'm not nearly sharp enough at this point to plan intricate details like that. You master types may be able to see that far forward, but not a simple ol' rodeo boy like myself. I'm thrilled that both pieces came out a similar shape!!! But, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again!!