Tinneal

What Type Of Leather Should I Use?

My friend wants me to make a harness for her dog, very similar to this:

http://www.hundegeschirre-store.de/images/dog-harness-ultimate-control-h17-all-weather-multi-tasking-police-k9-UK.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of leather to use. The harness leather available at my local Tandy Leather is about $350/side... A little more than I want to invest in this. Latigo leather seems like the next best choice, since my friend will be using it outside, all year round.

Any suggestions as to what type and weight?

Thanks in advance!

Tinneal

My friend wants me to make a harness for her dog, very similar to this:

http://www.hundegesc...olice-k9-UK.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of leather to use. The harness leather available at my local Tandy Leather is about $350/side... A little more than I want to invest in this. Latigo leather seems like the next best choice, since my friend will be using it outside, all year round.

Any suggestions as to what type and weight?

Thanks in advance!

Tinneal

I don't think you need harness leather for that-- overkill in my opinion. A good latigo or even skirting leather would work fine. 7-8 oz. should be plenty heavy. 5 -6 would work if you double and stitch it.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping for. I might still go with latigo, just because I will be doing all sewing by hand. Also, it seems to fair better in the bush.

Take a look at Wickett & Craig's overstock sale. They have a new sale every month and there always seems to be some harness on sale. The weights and grade will vary. This month is only 10-12 oz TR but that should be plenty heavy even for a very large dog. Their TR grade is going to be good. Actually their Special, the lowest grade they sell, has always been very good.

Even with freight and import costs I can't imagine it will be too much over $200 if even that much.

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

Springfield Leather sells some very nice Latigo straps 72"+ long in widths 1/2 to 2". They use heavier weight for the wider straps. If this is just a one-off project this would be a cheap way to get some good leather.

http://springfieldleather.com/product/8226/Strap%2CLatigo%2CBlack%2C1-1-2%22/

Edited by Seventh Circle Leather