DianeWood

Is This A Dye Or Paint Technique?

Does anyone know how to do this and what it is called? Is it a dye in different colors or a paint or what is the process to get leather to look like the pictures below? Someone told me its a burnishing technique but i wanted to see if anybody on here knows how to do this in all them different colors? Thanks, Dianepost-48212-0-18126400-1425226371_thumb.jpost-48212-0-75248100-1425226476_thumb.jpost-48212-0-49267900-1425226389_thumb.jpost-48212-0-65772500-1425226407_thumb.jpost-48212-0-94826400-1425226430_thumb.jpost-48212-0-81317700-1425226452_thumb.j

I have no idea, but those are really nice. I would guess that it is a combination of paint with a brush, and then paint either dry brushed, or using a block dying type technique followed by highlighter or gel antique.

Thanks I sent them a email asking them if its possible that that was used to acheive that look or not.

Also would you happen to know how to apply Gilders paste? I know some of that on the pictures is paint and dye so im guessing i do that first then apply the paste over that? Would i use a cloth of some sort? Also does it need a sealer over it to help it stay on better?

Sorry, I have not used it personally. Though, I would probably just experiment on a few scrap pieces of leather, and see what effect looks good. I would think it would need a top-coat finish on top, just to sure. You could also call Springfield Leather and talk with them about recommendations.

I would say that the color ones are an acrylic paint, very common in western belts. The next one is just a one color dye and the last two are a dye and antique paste.

I would say that the color ones are an acrylic paint, very common in western belts. The next one is just a one color dye and the last two are a dye and antique paste.

+1

The 3rd one is painted, then rubbed to give it that antique feel.

Edited by Colt W Knight

I may have stumbled across the source of those pictures...

www.johan-potgieter.com/II/?cat=7

Google Block dyeing leather, 3rd link down. If nothing else, there is a nice basketweave there, too.

Edited by Red Bear Haraldsson