Sign in to follow this  
MikhailVoronov

less than 1oz leather needed

My company is looking for leather that is .050 inches. basically slightly less than the 1/64th of an inch that makes up 1oz leather. We use it for testing surgical scissors. It needs to have the grain side and I am having a hard time finding anywhere that sells leather that thin. I can find 2oz but very little 1 oz and nothing smaller. Does anyone have any ideas?

My company is looking for leather that is .050 inches. basically slightly less than the 1/64th of an inch that makes up 1oz leather. We use it for testing surgical scissors. It needs to have the grain side and I am having a hard time finding anywhere that sells leather that thin. I can find 2oz but very little 1 oz and nothing smaller. Does anyone have any ideas?

Look for plonge, though the thinnest I've seen is 1.5 oz.

ed

You could contact Steven Siegel at Siegel leather & ask him. He does have sources for stuff no one else has.

You might also get some pliver (which is the grain side that is removed from veg tanned sheep skin. The split part is used to make fine suede & the grain is sold as 'PLIVER'. Wholesale Leathers sells it through their ebay store- look up 'pliver' 'craft leather' 'sheepskin'... It's very, very thin & very inexpensive (about $5/ skin + postage). The seller is seymourssi.

Edited by whinewine