Larry

Veg Tanned Splits For Lining?

I want to make the Traveling Secretary in the A.S. book on Cases. I have some veg tanned 6-7 oz for the outside and it calls for 2 - 2 1/2 oz for the lining.

Tandy has veg tanned splits and this is their description. These economical natural veg-tanned splits are perfect for youth group banners, patrol flags, small projects, log carriers, inexpensive camp projects and more. You can decorate with Eco-Flo Cova Colors or Sharpie Markers. Approx. 2 oz. Avg.13 sq. ft.

I want to use it for a journal I need to keep for competitive pistol shooting. I need it to be a little more sturdy than the original intended use. Would this make a good lining for the Traveling Secretary? I have some pig skin, but it seems too thin. If I cut a slit in it for envelopes, I can see it tearing after a while. Instead of envelopes, in that area I would be put training material and targets instead. I'm new to the art of leather working. Thanks for your advice and opinions. Larry

Tandy has veg tanned splits and this is their description. These economical natural veg-tanned splits are perfect for youth group banners, patrol flags, small projects, log carriers, inexpensive camp projects and more. You can decorate with Eco-Flo Cova Colors or Sharpie Markers. Approx. 2 oz. Avg.13 sq. ft.

I want to use it for a journal I need to keep for competitive pistol shooting. I need it to be a little more sturdy than the original intended use. Would this make a good lining for the Traveling Secretary?

Hi Larry,

The splits are not especially good lining material, IMO, since this is leather with the grain removed. There is no smooth side, and with the grain removed, it's not very strong, especially in thinner weights.

The pigskin would be better, but for something sturdy, you'll probably need something a little heavier, but in any case I would go with something that has the top grain still intact.

Kate

Thanks, Kate...

I always learn something new on this great forum and it is invaluable for a beginner like me.

You say you would use something a little heavier than the pig skin, what would that be?

Thanks again, Larry