CDragonworks

1951 111W156 Rocking Back

Does anyone know why this old beast would rock back and cause the machine to bugger the thread on the underside. It is not the bobbin thread that is the issue but the walking foot/needle rocking back it you have to stop or slow down... we have tried every thing to adjust the timing to stop this and have had it to the shop more than I care to say. We replaced the entire hook assembly and now it is giving me more problems in that not only does it rock back on the topside but it now packs the thread under the darn bobbin case... which the old assembly never did and the new did not do until more than a year out. I am wondering if the machine is just worn out. I sew on this thing A LOT so I know I have run her to the ground. but I oil her all the time and keep them clean. We did find that a heavy rubber band on the walking foot at the back top will slow down the rocking for a time but it breaks fairly quickly....

Does anyone know why this old beast would rock back and cause the machine to bugger the thread on the underside. It is not the bobbin thread that is the issue but the walking foot/needle rocking back it you have to stop or slow down... we have tried every thing to adjust the timing to stop this and have had it to the shop more than I care to say. We replaced the entire hook assembly and now it is giving me more problems in that not only does it rock back on the topside but it now packs the thread under the darn bobbin case... which the old assembly never did and the new did not do until more than a year out. I am wondering if the machine is just worn out. I sew on this thing A LOT so I know I have run her to the ground. but I oil her all the time and keep them clean. We did find that a heavy rubber band on the walking foot at the back top will slow down the rocking for a time but it breaks fairly quickly....

Pictures?

What machine, what thickness of leather, what thread and needle? Need more information for people here to be able to diagnose and help resolve the question.

Tom

What do you mean by “rock back”? I’ve never heard that term.

I had a problem with thread being shredded on a Consew 225. It turned out to be a new foot that had a thread channel made in it, but when the needle hole had been drilled, the burr wasn’t cleaned out of the thread groove. Probably not your problem, but I thought I would mention it.

CD in Oklahoma

Please give us a thorough description of what you mean by "rocking back" so we can analyze and address the issue