chouinardragon

Hot-Sealed Edge

Hi guys,

I recently research some leather artisans in France and found some of them use a machine to seal the edge and creat creases, even Hermes uses this machine.

Pictures as attached. Does anyone know anything about it or where to buy it?

Chris

post-11650-088626100 1305789993_thumb.jp

post-11650-059653300 1305790031_thumb.jp

post-11650-072436600 1305790043_thumb.jp

post-11650-052504900 1305790071_thumb.jp

Hi Chris,

This is the electric version of simple creasing tools (and shoemakers irons) that were heated over a little alcohol lamp and before that over a candle. They are used to smooth, burnish, and crease leather. What you see in the pictures is a custom electric tool for the production environment. Probably a 15 watt or so temperature limited heater (resistance goes up the hotter it gets).

Art

Hi guys,

I recently research some leather artisans in France and found some of them use a machine to seal the edge and creat creases, even Hermes uses this machine.

Pictures as attached. Does anyone know anything about it or where to buy it?

Chris

Make your own. A blade from any wood plane attached to a solder iron or hobby heating iron/embosser should do the trick.

Dixon leather tools has the old style "edge Iron" heated by lamp (or blow torch).

whatdoyouthink.gif

Just go to a hobby store and get one, it won't be as impressive as those production units, but it will work. I have commercial irons that just come with a big tip that you machine to your specs, the tips screw on. Judging by the part number on one of tips in your pics, what you want or the parts at least are commercially available.

Art

Thanks ,Art.

It seems that it's difficult to locate one.

Chris

Hello, i want to know if you anyone can help me locate the '' edge iron'' i'm looking exactly the same tool that's shown on the pictures, do you know what is the real name for that or where can i buy it?

Thank you

Hello, i want to know if you anyone can help me locate the '' edge iron'' i'm looking exactly the same tool that's shown on the pictures, do you know what is the real name for that or where can i buy it?

Thank you

Its from Mando, Paris

http://mando.fr/fr/17-fileteuse-manuelle