Sign in to follow this  
MatthewD

Advice on stitching awls?

I am about to start to learn how to stitch but I am a bit confused on awl selection. I know I need a diamond tip sewing awl but everytime I start looking, I can't seem to find what I am looking for. Can I get some help with picking out a good awl for just general stitching like on quivers, arm guards, belts, and belt pouches. I got into this when I started learning to shoot a traditional longbow, if that helps.

Great Appreciated

Matt

Matt, I use an Osborne that I bought at Tandy. The tool book that Johanna posted tells you "how to" as far as modifying and keeping the blades up to speed. More that likely you'll end up shortening the handle a bit and Stohlman tells you how. Keep your blades stropped. As far as stitching refer to Stohlman's book.

An invaluable book: The Art Of Hand Sewing Leather from Tandy Leather Factory 61944-00 by Al Stohlman introduces you to a variety of stitching techniques and provides you with valuable information on the tools and materials you'll need to get started. 72 pages.

I have the Art of Hand Sewing... I guess my main problem is I can't find the awls on the websites and we don't have a Tandy's in my neck of the woods

Matt, How far from Hunstville are you. There's an affiliate store there. Or contact me. I'm near the Montgomery Tandy store all the time. Matter of fact I'll be there this week. Or call Nick at the Montgomery store, he's great to work with.

Jim

Sorry Mathew, been in Auburn. The address was in an older Tandy Catalog and I haven't found it yet. As soon as I do I will post it for you. Not in the latest catalog

Jim