Sign in to follow this  
Idahotim

can it be fixed?

Howdy folks, I am a rank newbie to leather work but wanted to try to make a holster. I watched / read most everything I could find on the web on the subject and began.... When I dipped the holster into very warm water to wet form it, it shrank and curled up and is apparently ruined! It is hard as a rock. Is there anyway to salvage it? What went wrong? Here are a few facts about my methods: 1) I used leather I have had for a few years, maybe many years! 2) I warmed the water to 140 degrees and added a couple drops of dish soap. 3) I held the holster under until bubbles quit (about 15 seconds) Thanks in advance for your response and aid.

Any pictures of the holster in question? I don't case leather at any particular temp. generally whatever tap temp. is works for me so I don't have the same experience you have had with the curling shrinkage etc... I am sure someone has an answer but maybe you should go get some new Veg tan tooling leather and try again fresh. Good luck.

the first mistake you made was by submerging it in hot water. what you did was to do something called "cuir boulli' whern you submerge leather in hot water you harden the leather. You can not fix it . You have to get another piece of leather and start over. I use regular tap water with just the cold water on . or you can use a spray bottle and spray it and then put it in a plastic bag to case the leather. I do not use soap. if you do wish to add something to the water to soften up the leather use lexol.

another problem was the leather. How many years have you had it and how was it stored. If it was stored when the sun can get to it ,even with out hitting it directly will harden the leather.

you broke all the rules on casing ands storing leather. the only reason I know is because I did the same thing when I was a newbie.If you have some of the leather left you could spray some lexol and water on it and put it in a trash bag for a day and see if that helps to make it soft. If it does then you can precede from there. Just use cold tap water to case with .Do not use warm or hot water unless you are making armor. that is what you made with the old leather you started with the holster

Edited by leatherman1457

use cold water..........next time........

Disclaimer- I know nothing about holsters, and have done very little wet forming. My only thought is that since you may have to pitch this one anyways, why not try soaking in cold water until the bubbles disapear, and then shaping it over something until it dries? If nothing else, look at it as a learning experience.

the first mistake you made was by submerging it in hot water. what you did was to do something called "cuir boulli' whern you submerge leather in hot water you harden the leather. You can not fix it . You have to get another piece of leather and start over. I use regular tap water with just the cold water on . or you can use a spray bottle and spray it and then put it in a plastic bag to case the leather. I do not use soap. if you do wish to add something to the water to soften up the leather use lexol.

another problem was the leather. How many years have you had it and how was it stored. If it was stored when the sun can get to it ,even with out hitting it directly will harden the leather.

you broke all the rules on casing ands storing leather. the only reason I know is because I did the same thing when I was a newbie.If you have some of the leather left you could spray some lexol and water on it and put it in a trash bag for a day and see if that helps to make it soft. If it does then you can precede from there. Just use cold tap water to case with .Do not use warm or hot water unless you are making armor. that is what you made with the old leather you started with the holster

The leather was not exposed to sunlight, it was in duffel bags in a closet. I suspect my water at 140 degrees was way to hot. The two drops of dish soap was suggested in a tutorial at another site. The leather hardened and twisted while still under water. I have soaked it in cold water most of the day. It has softened a little but is still very hard in spots and still twisted. I am going to start rubbing nexol into it and see it that helps..... If not I will have to find someone with a little bitty automatic possibly with a bent barrel who needs a holster.

use cold water..........next time........

That much I have learned... I wanted it to be really soft so I tried the warm water as described elsewhere, but that didn't turn out well. I have softened up old saddles and tack but those were usually dried out after being wet or neglected. This holster has acted very strangely the compared to other leather I have worked with.

Disclaimer- I know nothing about holsters, and have done very little wet forming. My only thought is that since you may have to pitch this one anyways, why not try soaking in cold water until the bubbles disapear, and then shaping it over something until it dries? If nothing else, look at it as a learning experience.

I am trying that now. If I can get it soft again. Any thoughts on what to use on the leather??? Nexol? Neetsfoot Oil? Saddlesoap??? Suggestions are welcomed!

If not I will have to find someone with a little bitty automatic possibly with a bent barrel who needs a holster.

That's the spirit! I have had good luck with both my leather work, and on dry tack when I lived in Arizona with Olive Oil. Sound like you are doing the kind of things I would try to save it. Good luck.

Save all your Lexol, oil, and other conditioners, pour out the water it's soaking in and use the container for something else.

This piece is ruined. When the leather acts like that, you've either cooked it or burnt it- there is no 'fixing' it. Even if you can soften it, the leather has been damaged to the point that you can not reform it. What you can do with it is let it air dry and hang it over the stove or workbench as a reminder of what can go wrong....perhaps put it in a shadow box on a wall and call it "modern art". Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

As stated in the third sentence of my first reply. It is ruined.no good, bad leather, worthless. no good for caca. land fill material,trash, not fixable,use another piece of leather.

Can't get much clearer then that. You have ruined the leather ,it can not be used for this project. Get another piece and start over,

When you do start over,case you leather with just cold tap water. soak it till it quite bubbling if you wish. put it in a bag and let it case(suck in the water that you put on the leather to a cellular level) and then go from there. If you have any more questions please ask but as for the leatherdeadsubject.gifrip_1.gifthumbsdown.gif

Idahotim, if it's any consolation, I think most of us here have thrown out more leather than we care to admit. Natural materials have their own peculiar temperaments, and sometimes react in strange ways to techiques we think are common sense.

Stick with it... Your next try will turn out better! smile.gif

As stated in the third sentence of my first reply. It is ruined.no good, bad leather, worthless. no good for caca. land fill material,trash, not fixable,use another piece of leather.

Can't get much clearer then that. You have ruined the leather ,it can not be used for this project. Get another piece and start over,

When you do start over,case you leather with just cold tap water. soak it till it quite bubbling if you wish. put it in a bag and let it case(suck in the water that you put on the leather to a cellular level) and then go from there. If you have any more questions please ask but as for the leatherdeadsubject.gifrip_1.gifthumbsdown.gif

Are you sure? Maybe if I........... Just kidding, I get it. That holster is now just a deformed chunk laying on the back edge of the work bench. I sure appriciate all your support folks. I am going to try again. I'll try and post a pic or two when I get a chance to build it.

If not I will have to find someone with a little bitty automatic possibly with a bent barrel who needs a holster.

HAH! I like you already...

I've only been working with leather for only 6 months, but I'll share a similar story. Being the patient person that I am, I set a piece of leather on a metal framing square above my woodburning fireplace to speed up the drying process when I was casing the leather for carving. A couple of minutes later, I picked up the leather and discovered that I had permanently burned the leather with the inches scale from the framing square. This is when I realized that as tough as leather is, it's still just cow skin and reacts accordingly.

John