Big Papa Leather

Bridle Leather

Anyone know who stocks a light weight (3-4 oz) bridle leather?

I looked online and lightest weight I have found is 8-9 oz.

Thanks!

Allen

I was at Wickett and Craig the other week and they will split their bridle leather to whatever weight you'd like. But- it will not be finished on the backside after the splitting. I didn't ask if they have additional charges for that service.

Crystal

That would be ok for my needs. I have had 3-4 requests for wallets made from bridle leather..?..

Thanks for the response. I'd hate to buy a hole side if I didn't have to.

Allen

Hi Allen,

When Crystal said they would split their bridle leather to whatever weight, she meant that they will reduce the thickness, you would still have to buy a whole hide (or side).

Bridle leather is generally hot stuffed and will hold up better in weather. I know a few harness makers and have done repairs at a local track and I can't remember ever seeing any leather less than 9oz, and quite a bit of 12-14oz, they may occasionally double 6-7oz, that said, I'm sure some 3-4oz exists.

Call WC and see what they can do for you, they're as close to a custom tanner as exists here is the US.

Art

That would be ok for my needs. I have had 3-4 requests for wallets made from bridle leather..?..

Thanks for the response. I'd hate to buy a hole side if I didn't have to.

Allen

Thanks Art,

I understood what she was saying. I was commenting that buying from them I knew I had to buy a whole side. I am hoping that maybe someone knows a supplier other than the tanner who can provide the leather in smaller qties. I guess if all else fails I can make a butt load of stuff from this reduced thickness bridle leather, but would rather have a go at a smaller purchase initially.

Allen

Hi Allen,

Call Kevin at Springfield Leather, I don't know if he has the size you need, but he does sell cuts.

Art

Thanks Art,

I understood what she was saying. I was commenting that buying from them I knew I had to buy a whole side. I am hoping that maybe someone knows a supplier other than the tanner who can provide the leather in smaller qties. I guess if all else fails I can make a butt load of stuff from this reduced thickness bridle leather, but would rather have a go at a smaller purchase initially.

Allen

I've never come across such a lightweight bridle leather - at least, not in the UK. The lightest I've seen is 4-5oz, and there's a tannery on eBay that sells it over here - item number 330369280857.