HC009

How To Burnish Edges After Acrylic Dye Applied?

Hi,

I was wondering how do I burnish pale blue acrylic dyed edges of leather - saddle soap etc will that work or intefere with the colour - make it look dirty. Everything has to be pale blue very white. Any ideas?

Whatever tool you use, . . . it will have to be cleaned first, . . . no residue, . . . and I would start with water only, . . .

If you are using a Dremel, . . . turn your speed down also.

Take slow passes, . . . light pressure.

I had a similar situation with a pair of pink spur straps a couple of years back. Nerve wracking !

May God bless,

Dwight

Sorry, I don't understand - are you talking about rubbing the edge down with the saddle soap or just clean water on its own?

Sorry, I don't understand - are you talking about rubbing the edge down with the saddle soap or just clean water on its own?

No, . . . no saddle soap, . . . just clean water.

I actually do this on a lot of my holsters and belts, . . . water only, . . . after sanding the edges very smooth, . . . and beveling them. I then moisten the edge with clean water, . . . burnish until dry and shiny, . . . then I rely on the actual "finish" to hold the fibers down.

May God bless,

Dwight

Brilliant sounds like magic! So sand edges, burnish with water and then apply acrylic?

That is what I did with the pink spur straps, . . . and she loved them.

The pink was the paint sold by Tandys, . . . final finish was Resolene.

On the underside of the straps, . . . I experimented, . . . found out how much pressure, . . . where to lighten up. Some of the burnishing became a bit brown as I got it hotter than I wanted, . . . but again, . . . customer was happy, . . . and I've learned to keep my mouth shut when a 13 year old is ecstatic over what you did.

May God bless,

Dwight