Do you think the person used a resist or painted around the areas they didn't want dyed or a combination of the 2? I really like this look and would like to attempt it.

sailorhandbagfront.JPG

Edited by BradB

It looks like they block dyed it. There is already a great tutorial on here, but it's late and I've forgotten who made it :P. Just search the forum for "block dye" and you'll probably find it. Basically, you carve and tool, and then you wipe dye on with something like a firm square of cloth so the dye doesn't run, and it only gets on the surface that way.

~Noah

It looks like they block dyed it. There is already a great tutorial on here, but it's late and I've forgotten who made it :P. Just search the forum for "block dye" and you'll probably find it. Basically, you carve and tool, and then you wipe dye on with something like a firm square of cloth so the dye doesn't run, and it only gets on the surface that way.

~Noah

Thanks I will take a look, I tried searching on here but obviously wasn't using the right search terms.

hi

stumbled upon your post. i have been doing this style as well and yoiu dont need a resist for this one. the tooling he did was so deep that when you put the dye unto the leather it disredards the impressions coz its deep and the dye cant reach it as it is far from the leather surface. block dying is one way of doing it as well. takes practice though that you don't hit the insides of the impressions.--ritch