Sign in to follow this  
wildrose

choosing a pattern/design for a piece

When you are making something, not an item someone has specifically chosen a design for, how do you choose the design that goes on it? As an example, I have dozens of Celtic designs, plants, animals, etc etc. When I begin a project, for example a box, I measure it and decide what shape would look best on it (round, square, etc). Then I consult my files and pick what I feel works for it.

But sometimes I'm stumped. I'll look and say "nah, did that one recently" "nah, didn't like that one last time", whatever. Stumbling along, I'll pick something just to get it done, but I won't be happy doing it and likely won't be happy with the outcome. Ever had that happen?

Just curious. I feel much the same way when it comes to coloring the project!

I feel like this on most projects! I have spent about four hours today trying to come up with a design for a project that hopefully I can sell. I usually end up doing something I haven't tried before. For this one, none of my stuff I had worked, so I took a bit of this, and an bit of that, and I hope it comes out well. We will see. To get started on stuff, sometimes I just start googling.

That is actually one of the hardest parts most of the time, planning out your project. I know it is for me anyways.

When you are making something, not an item someone has specifically chosen a design for, how do you choose the design that goes on it? As an example, I have dozens of Celtic designs, plants, animals, etc etc. When I begin a project, for example a box, I measure it and decide what shape would look best on it (round, square, etc). Then I consult my files and pick what I feel works for it.

But sometimes I'm stumped. I'll look and say "nah, did that one recently" "nah, didn't like that one last time", whatever. Stumbling along, I'll pick something just to get it done, but I won't be happy doing it and likely won't be happy with the outcome. Ever had that happen?

Just curious. I feel much the same way when it comes to coloring the project!

That did trouble me too for a good while. I've been making bags and purses lately and just recently decided that choosing design and patterns for different parts is just part of the enjoyment. I tool at least a small part of everything I make and enjoy matching to overall design. Maybe it would be different if I had high volume.

Regis

Wow, I must be in the minority here. I actually don't have a problem thinking about what I am going to do. I cannot draw worth a darn, but my wife says that I vision things done. Like my attach case that I just finished. I envisioned the final product and what I wanted where. All I had to do was search my 1000 patterns to find exactly what I needed. In that case, the biggest part was the corners, so I went to my corners book that holds all of my corner patterns and I searched and played with different one until I like what I saw. Use your instinct more if you can, it usually will not let you down or most of would be dead from all of those dares that we eventually took as kids. The ones where your instincts say you better not were the one that would have hurt you bad.

Anyways, back to the topic. I don't take commissions often, but I do make a lot of stuff and give it to friends and family. I just love working with leather. Okay, I often either know what the person likes and needs that I can build or I sit and talk with them. General conversation like what they like and what they don't, but the ones that are really cool are the ones that say surprise me! Those are the best.

I would encourage you to look at something and see how you can change it around to different views and designs. I mean I saw a design of Master Sansei Parks a lot time before we met here for a briefcase and just envision how I could do it because I could not do what Master Sansei Parks did then or now. I know my limitations and I do my best to work with what I have.

Constantly, go through your patterns/books and other design inspirations and look at a pattern and tweak it in your head an see how it would look if you omitted something or changed a flower or line. For instance, I am making a portfolio right now for my wife who will be attending a big sewing show in Houston next month. She want this to take to collect varies patterns, cards and flyers. She wanted something special (duh) but she wanted to be sewing related. I starting putting my old mind to work and for about one day, I did nothing but think about different ideas. I finally told her that I was going to take a very nice Sheridan pattern, but instead of flowers, I was going to silouette a female sewing on a chair in the middle and instead of flowers, I was going to input different symbols related to sewing. I completed the design tonight and it met to her satisfaction. So, in all of these mess of words, just envision your project and work within your limitations keeping in mind what your customer likes and dislikes.

Okay, my .10cents worth.....No change requested.

:whatdoyouthink:

I tend to look at patterns and find one that I would like to try and then it's finding the leather piece that it will fit on. I'm still in the practice stages so I'm not doing specific projects for anyone just yet. I'm hoping to get my quality of work to a place where I can do Christmas gifts for friends and family this year. I definitely have my work cut out for me!