Hi All,

I've recently started making belts and have done a couple so far. Overall they are pretty simple, with some 'distressed' looking dying in various colours but I want to try and improve the quality. I've read tutorials and topics from all over the place but there are a few things which I'm still unsure about.

1) Edge bevelling - I've got a beveller and used it a few times, but the effect always comes off a little uneven. I'm sure this is down to my lack of skill with the tool, but I've found my self asking why the edges need bevelling? I've seen it recommended all over the place, but can't quite see the reason for it, I quite like the look of sharp edges, does bevelling serve any purpose apart from aesthetic?

2) The first belt I made used an acrylic resoline, after a bit of use its got quite a lot of small cracks over it from all the flexing about a belt does (although still smooth, nothings chipping off etc). I heard one way to avoid this was diluting the resoline 50% then applying multiple coats. Does anyone else do this/have other ways of avoiding the cracks in the finish?

3) Belt Keepers - I haven't made any yet, but think i need to. One method I've read about involves using thick 'string' to hold the loop together. How do you stop the keeper rotating and showing the join on top of the belt?

4) The leather shoulder I'm working my way through it quite good, but some of the flesh side is a bit rough. I don't really want to line it with another layer of leather, so am i right in thinking trying to burnish the entire flesh side is the next best approach? If so is it just the same was as for edges?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Hi XeonZinc (post a name, please, that handle is tough LOL)

1). Probably no other reason, yet My limited experience says it hard to burnish and finish a sharp edge and keep it that way with wear. Belt loops have a way of rounding anyway, might as well do it right.

2). Lots of your answer is in TOOLING STAMPING AND CARVING, under Dyes, Antiques, Etc.

BUT...The best is under HOW DO I DO THAT. Particularly "Finishing Edges", and "How I make a Belt".

3). Search under BELT KEEPERS. Some good stuff, I'm not going to repeat here.

4. Yes! And again postings on this subject. Search in Finishing and Leather.

Good Luck and Welcome, Welcome. You'r going to like it here.

grouphug5vj5.gif

Kevin

Hi All,

I've recently started making belts and have done a couple so far. Overall they are pretty simple, with some 'distressed' looking dying in various colours but I want to try and improve the quality. I've read tutorials and topics from all over the place but there are a few things which I'm still unsure about.

1) Edge bevelling - I've got a beveller and used it a few times, but the effect always comes off a little uneven. I'm sure this is down to my lack of skill with the tool, but I've found my self asking why the edges need bevelling? I've seen it recommended all over the place, but can't quite see the reason for it, I quite like the look of sharp edges, does bevelling serve any purpose apart from aesthetic?

If you don't bevel and leave sharp edges, in time they will nick, dent, etc...and just plain look unfinished. I believe ALL sharp corners on leather work should be beveled.

2) The first belt I made used an acrylic resoline, after a bit of use its got quite a lot of small cracks over it from all the flexing about a belt does (although still smooth, nothings chipping off etc). I heard one way to avoid this was diluting the resoline 50% then applying multiple coats. Does anyone else do this/have other ways of avoiding the cracks in the finish?

I use 50/50. I found that if used full strength it also leaves streaks. I found it's better to use 2 or 3 50/50 coats than one at full strength. If it's cracking you probably applied it too thick.

3) Belt Keepers - I haven't made any yet, but think i need to. One method I've read about involves using thick 'string' to hold the loop together. How do you stop the keeper rotating and showing the join on top of the belt?

I use regular hand stitching thread. If you form the keeper around the two layers of belt when you make it, it's no gonna rotate and show the joint on top. I also use Chicago screws to attach the buckle and place the keeper between the two screws, it won't move at all.

4) The leather shoulder I'm working my way through it quite good, but some of the flesh side is a bit rough. I don't really want to line it with another layer of leather, so am i right in thinking trying to burnish the entire flesh side is the next best approach? If so is it just the same was as for edges?

You have to pick the right leather for the project. If the leather is too fuzzy on the flesh side then don't use it for a belt. But if you must, use GUM TRAGACANTH on the fuzzy side, it will lay the fuzzy stuff down and smooth it out some.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

post-4803-065265600 1346672612_thumb.jpg

post-4803-064144200 1346672673_thumb.jpg