MasonA

What's Up With My Backside

So I finally got my sewing machine. I've been stitching holsters by hand until now. I got the machine set up (toro 3200) ran a few practice peices, and then stitched up a concealed carry belt. the stitch looks great on top. nice and even and about level with the surface of the leather, but the back side (I line my belts) has a rippled effect caused from the hollow in the feed dog. So to all of you sewing machine junkies out there, is this a normal look, or is there something that i should adjust??post-26679-0-11948800-1392893805_thumb.jpost-26679-0-11948800-1392893805_thumb.j

here's the top side post-26679-0-64412800-1392894265_thumb.j

My swag would be the needle is too big. The needle and/or the thread is cutting too much leather on the bottom. Tension looks good. How many stitches to the inch?

My first thought was reduce the SPI. You seem to be getting a lot of tear out on the backside. The holes look pretty good on the front side.

Looks to me from the pictures that your needle is blunt (check that first) or the leather that you are using for the lining is very loose and fiberous. Do a test with some good leather top and bottom with the flesh sides inward and see how that comes out. Stitching otherwise looks fine. (layout evenness etc). Get yourself some new needles in the 794LR NM250/26 Canu: 53:20AX1 SCHMETZ cheers TRK

Edited by Trevor

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah I think I might try a smaller needle. this one is a size 25 with 277 thread on top and 207 on the bottom.

Same sizes I use. That would make me think leather is the problem. First try a 24 just in case.

Shouldn’t be a leather issue. This is from a b grade Hermann oak back that I just bought. I dampened the leather and slicked it down which worked really well. Being a nube to sewing machines I wasn't sure if there was something that I could adjust on the machine. Not sure if you can adjust the height or pressure that the walking foot presses into the feed dog. Do any of you do this? Changing the height or pressure of the foot (the one that the needle goes through) as you sew different thicknesses of leather?

Edited by MasonA

Was the leather wet when you sewed it? Kind of looks like the leather was quite soft. Is the leather from the belly? Also, are you using a leather point needle?

Possible that your top and bottom tensions are too tight. They do appear to be balanced, so if you reduce the bottom tension, you will have to reduce the top as well.

Tom

If the bottom was wet/damp that may be the problem. The thread is cutting through the leather. The 25 needle will leave a big hole but they won't touch.

The leather wasn't damp at all. Although I do wonder if the leather may have been too dry? I live in MN, and during the winter here it is extremely dry. The cold weather freezes the moisture in the air. You guys think that could be a cause? And if you have the info, what do you keep your humidity level at in your shop?

you will always get that. when ever you punch through anything the bottom will look like that, just take a roller and roll. I used to wonder the same as you.

you may also want to cut a groove stitch line on the back