Sign in to follow this  
The Farmers Daughter

What Do You Make Of That?

I know that Porter made a nice saddle and this one caught my attention, BUT I don't know what to make of that seat. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...E:X:AAQ:US:1123

Edited by The Farmers Daughter

I have seen lots of N. Porter saddles but have never seen one with such a seat pad. It is split down the center and appears to have a splice at that point. If the seat leather is indeed synthetic as the seller states it could not be original to the saddle. The seat looks poofy so it might have wool inside instead of foam, but on these aftermarket things it's anybody's best guess if you don't have the saddle to inspect. It could have been put on that way for pressure relief on the center part of the riders rearend (hemorrhoids)......... Jeff

I have seen lots of N. Porter saddles but have never seen one with such a seat pad. It is split down the center and appears to have a splice at that point. If the seat leather is indeed synthetic as the seller states it could not be original to the saddle. The seat looks poofy so it might have wool inside instead of foam, but on these aftermarket things it's anybody's best guess if you don't have the saddle to inspect. It could have been put on that way for pressure relief on the center part of the riders rearend (hemorrhoids)......... Jeff

Interesting Jeff. If that was the case, I wonder why they would go with synthetic over leather?

I would think the synthetic would trap moisture and sweat. . . . and, thanks for the insight and the visual...lol! :blink:

Edited by The Farmers Daughter

Interesting Jeff. If that was the case, I wonder why they would go with synthetic over leather?

I would think the synthetic would trap moisture and sweat. . . . and, thanks for the insight and the visual...lol! :blink:

As I stated in my first post on this saddle "if the seat is synthetic as the seller states", but I can't tell from the pictures if it is in fact pleather or leather. That said often people do seat replacements with what ever they have on hand. Top grain chap or garment leather can look somewhat like pleather and are sometimes hot as well. Split leather does breathe better but does not wear as well. I'm glad you liked the visual... Jeff

from looking at that saddle i would say that it has been altered....also looks like skirts are relined..

They make bicycle seats similar to that for men.........the purpose is to lessen pressure on the prostate. Its possible that could be the reasoning behind this funky seat.

Definitely not original to Porter. Even new cantle leather was added. If I'm reading the numbers right this saddle was made in 87.

Definitely not original to Porter. Even new cantle leather was added. If I'm reading the numbers right this saddle was made in 87.

Where did you see that? I saw 85...?

You're right - 85 Sorry

Well, whatever it's made of, it looks down right comfy! ... a hell-of-a marketing idea. I can see it now....

I have seen bicycle seats split like that, so each half of your rear-end is held. Maybe the cantor of the horse was too much for the poor rider, so a split seat would make for a comfy ride. It is probably going to be one of those mysteries of life, that no one will ever have the answer for.

Edited by Uncle Dannie