CritterPoor

New To Braiding

Hello all.

I find myself unemployed (again!) and was thinking about taking up braiding as a hobby and maybe making a few Christmas presents in the meantime. I am mainly interested in dog leashes, collars and maybe a few simple necklaces. I have looked around on this site and it seems full of great information, though a little over whelming.

My current question is about cores. Do you guys always use them? What do you use for cords? how do you decide what size cord to use?

Also, where would you suggest a newbie purchase their material from?

Thanks!

Well the answer to your question about cores is pretty much the same as so many answers... it depends. Typically anything over 6 strands should have a core unless you want it to be square or flat. If you want flat you will need to pound it flat. What you use for a core is another wide open topic. Personally I like leather or rawhide for my cores. I mostly only braid rawhide.

Depends...Just like Megabit said.

On large expensive projects I use a braided core...like reins, on bracelets I use a nylon core. Dog leashes I use a nylon core, except 4 plait, then I use a sinew or a fishing line as a core.

There is a formula for size of core and size of string. Don't have it in my head right now, but my 3/32 string uses a 1/8' core and my 1/8' string uses a 3/16" nylon core.

welcome

well if you want to braid with the best leather it has to be kangaroo....if you want to learn on the more inexpensive side then paracord. cores used will depend on the size of the leash and the dog its being used on. also with paracord if you braid more than 6 strands you need a core or the braid comes out square.

well if you want to braid with the best leather it has to be kangaroo....

Actually skip the tanned hides and use rawhide. :innocent::spoton:

Actually skip the tanned hides and use rawhide. :innocent::spoton:

If you're new to braiding, stick with paracord or lacing already made up. It's much more forgiving and can be dismantled to reuse. Mike, rawhide is great but there is to many steps between start and finish. I know what your saying but I've to much rawhide hanging on the wall to encourage starting there. Brad

rawhide is an awful tuff place to start...im still trying to get started working the rawhide. the learning curve with it sucks.

Paracord is a great place to start, if you look at what I quoted you would understand I was mostly teasing Roo as apposed to giving advice. I think rawhide may very well be hard to work with but I'd say it is cheaper than roo and I personally like the end result. ;D

oh sure teasing poor ole roo. i almost listed rawhide in my post but its not really a typical material for dog stuff and a bit tuff to learn...i think less forgiving....your right though, cheaper than kangaroo by a bunch.

Welcome. You came to a great place to get advice. 'Roo and other leathers are much easier and forgiving in my experience, but I agree with megabit and prefer rawhide. As far as cores, use what you have and practice practice practice. And have fun with it.

There are some great braiders here, learn what you can from them.

but I agree with megabit and prefer rawhide.

Thanks for having my back buckaroo. :grouphug5vj5:

where do you guys normally get your paracord and lace? do you just order them online?

Ubraidit.com has probably the best selection of paracord and understand what braiders want as far as core material, colors, etc. The roo and other leather lace that most places sell thats precut isnt worth much, but springfield leather has some good stuff from what I have heard. If you are just starting out and arent worried about quality that much, you could just get some precut roo at Tandy, but if you want nice pieces early, dont go there. Most of us cut all of our own lace from hides. I wouldnt start there as there is a big learning curve for it and its a pretty serious investment since most quality lace cutters run $200+. If you wanted some good quality lace, you might be able to sweet talk one of us with a cutter into selling you some. Welcome to the forum and feel fortunate that you found it when you were starting since I braided for 6 years before I found LW lol. I taught myself with NO HELP OR ADVICE and if you cant tell, it was really frustrating at times.

Good luck!

CW

Thanks for having my back buckaroo. :grouphug5vj5:

Bridle horses, drop shank spurs, flat hats and rawhide - gotta love it all! :)

I can't help you with paracord as I've never used it. As far as lace - most of us do cut it ourselves. It can be done without the expensive cutters but takes a lot of practice and wastes a lot of material during the learning curve. I started practicing with the plastic lace you can get at craft stores. It works to learn the braids, but the memory it retains is a pain! Learn to bevel your edges as well, it makes the finished product look so much better and helps build confidence - a good thing in a craft that can be frustrating at times.

As far as the rawhide - I don't think I've seen anyone make leashes out of it so stick with roo or some form of cheaper tanned leather. I have actually had success braiding and edging with chrome tanned hides I cut down to lace.

Ubraidit.com has probably the best selection of paracord and understand what braiders want as far as core material, colors, etc. The roo and other leather lace that most places sell thats precut isnt worth much, but springfield leather has some good stuff from what I have heard. If you are just starting out and arent worried about quality that much, you could just get some precut roo at Tandy, but if you want nice pieces early, dont go there. Most of us cut all of our own lace from hides. I wouldnt start there as there is a big learning curve for it and its a pretty serious investment since most quality lace cutters run $200+. If you wanted some good quality lace, you might be able to sweet talk one of us with a cutter into selling you some. Welcome to the forum and feel fortunate that you found it when you were starting since I braided for 6 years before I found LW lol. I taught myself with NO HELP OR ADVICE and if you cant tell, it was really frustrating at times.

Good luck!

CW

Thanks for the website suggestion, I'll definitely check it out.

I'm definitely not looking into spending $200 right off the bat, maybe later. I'll practice my sweet talking for when I'm ready to get good material.

Yuck, I'm not sure I'll be able to do this without help and advice. I would probably pull my hair out.

Bridle horses, drop shank spurs, flat hats and rawhide - gotta love it all! :)

I can't help you with paracord as I've never used it. As far as lace - most of us do cut it ourselves. It can be done without the expensive cutters but takes a lot of practice and wastes a lot of material during the learning curve. I started practicing with the plastic lace you can get at craft stores. It works to learn the braids, but the memory it retains is a pain! Learn to bevel your edges as well, it makes the finished product look so much better and helps build confidence - a good thing in a craft that can be frustrating at times.

As far as the rawhide - I don't think I've seen anyone make leashes out of it so stick with roo or some form of cheaper tanned leather. I have actually had success braiding and edging with chrome tanned hides I cut down to lace.

How do you bevel edges? Does the lace normally come this way if I order it online or does it just depend?

Thanks!

I've seen a leash out of rawhide, in fact I see it every time my wife walks our dog.

My leash thread

That's awesome. I've never seen a rawhide leash before. Thanks for sharing it. Those knots look impossible!

If you are asking how "I" bevel - don't listen to the advice. I've tried it free hand and then made a small jig to do it. It's tough to do unless you have the proper tools. As far as buying beveled lace - I think you can, at least from people on here. I've never seen it in stores, but I usually buy leather at Tandy which is not the best source (but it's local). Also, on some very thin roo I have has decent luck with not beveling and rolling the heck out of it. Prestretch the string if you do that though.

the only problem with rawhide leashes is most dogs find rawhide hard to resist....

I thought a leash could be made with rawhide. I mean if reins can be made with it, surely a leash too. Rawhide has a nice old fashioned look. I really want to learn some day.

of course you can use rawhide for leashes....but i wouldnt recommend using it on a dog that is allowed to have rawhide chewies....i have some goat rawhide and was actually thinking it would make a very nice leash but would have to seal it cuz if goat gets too wet it stretches BAD....

I think it mostly depends on the dog. Mine has eaten a scarf slide or two but never bothers his leash. Then again it generally gets put up when not in use.

Hi and welcome to LW.

Well here's a few things I've learned over the years braiding and knot tying.

• Once you start braiding, you'll get hooked to it like a drug user and when you get past the learning curve, IT'S over for you. It does not matter what material you use either.
  • I spent my first 2yrs braiding with calf lace bought from Tandy before I bought kangaroo lace from Tandy. Then I met my braiding mentor Mike Storch and he introduced me to buying lace from him. To say the best that I can about what happened after I got my first tamale of lace from his hand cut stock, " WOW! " Once I discovered cutting my own lace, I never went back to anything else.
  • Prepare your self for investment into the tools, books and materials later on. That's all there is to it.
  • Prepare your self to burn a lot of midnight oils and sometimes till the wee hours of the morning.
  • Practice, Practice, Practice and when you think you're done, Practice some more.
  • *** Buy yourself a very large note book. This is for keeping a journal. This is very, very important. *** You'll learn to keep a journal of your projects and the different braids you learn. What's most important about this part is, you'll be able to record your mistakes, likes and dislikes for the different aspects of your braiding.
  • And second most important, develop a love for this craft and the learning wont be as intimidating, or as rough as you may or may not see it now.
  • And third most important, HAVE FUN MORE THAN ANYTHING with this art and craft.
  • Fourth, ask questions. Don't be bashful either. You'll find that with the combined braiders here that we have more than 150yrs of experience combined. (Yep, that's probably a modest estimate). LOL...

When you think that your interest in the craft has gone well into the art of the craft, let us know. We here on LW will more than glad to point you to suppliers, and resources for just about any of the material you will need. We will be here, although it may take a few of us a few days to get to your posted question for the reason that we all are in our own parts of the world and into our own projects as well.

I hope that this little bit of advice will help you and others as well.

B...