PipeSmokeAndMakersMark

Pattern Request; Saddleback Style Briefcase Template

I know you were probably looking for a free one, but there is one for sale here:

http://www.bighousedaddy.com/business_satchel.htm

I haven't ever gotten any patterns from them, but have heard some good things. I'm not seeing it in the pics, so I'm not sure if it has the provision for a shoulder strap attachment.

That is exactly what I am looking for, free is better than $40 but that will be my first backup if there are none available. Thanks for the reply.

I just made one that I think came out pretty well, but I don't really have any pictures handy yet. I spent a lot of time looking at pictures on the website and he has a video on the site that show how it is made.

I started with 11" x 14" pieces for the front and middle and rounded the corners using a soup can for a template. The back piece is longer and a shorter piece for the back pocket.

The gussets are 5" wide by longer than what I thought I would need, so I could trim it later (11"+14"+11"+?)

I'm still new at this, but it was a really fun project.

I didn't see and edit button, so here are a couple of pics of my bag.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk10/Gecko68/Larrys%20briefcase/026_zpsu6upy3n7.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk10/Gecko68/Larrys%20briefcase/027_zps9r3uvbkw.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk10/Gecko68/Larrys%20briefcase/047_zpsivwba2gf.jpg

Like I said, I'm new at this, but if you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them. By the way, I wanted stiffer leather and used about a 12oz leather. That is too heavy, but it should last forever. :head_hurts_kr:

Gecko, this is fantastic and exactly what I want to make. Did you use veg tanned leather? How did you form the gussets using such thick leather? How long did it take you? Can you post a picture of the inside of the bag? I am very impressed. This bag will last you 3 lifetimes.

Okay, I'm still not too sure about getting pictures here from Photobucket, but I'll give it a try.

And keep in mind I'm giving up detail shots to help you out but they were taken with my cell hone, so you will probably see all the flaws that I hope others will overlook.

Inside pockets -

th_20150504_191150_zpsywmwoijv.jpg

th_20150504_191202_zpsnqwrlqh3.jpg

Tabs riveted to face and then stitched through -

th_20150504_191259_zpssynq1koj.jpg

th_20150504_191309_zpscjopk7mi.jpg

Handle assembled and riveted in place -

th_20150504_191355_zpsaotyiqxz.jpg

th_20150504_191416_zpshtwkaqj1.jpg

th_20150504_191459_zpsfnqua61q.jpg

The lining is all pigskin. I still need to make a strap, but I'm trying to decide if I should reinforce it with webbing or not.

The leather was a double shoulder from Tandy, maybe more like 10oz. The bag weighs in at 8 pounds.

I hope that help. Let me know if you have any other questions/criticisms.

Edited by Gecko

Everything got pre-punched with my humble Craftool stitching chisel. It was really tricky, and I started by putting the two gussets on the center panel. the three layers is a good half inch thick. sometimes I ran the needles through all three layers separately and then pulled tight to get it all lined up again.

Personally, I think the handle is my favorite part. Again, I was winging it, but I think it came out petty comfy.

The first cut is the hardest. Take small steps. Take your time. Take a sip of whisky. You'll do fine. Post pictures.

Great bag gecko

Awesome job!!  how long did that take you to finish? what kind and weight leather did you use?