RoosterShooter

I'm Going To Pick Your Brain ... Arbor Adaptor Needed!

I was walking around my shop this morning, and noticed that I have several 1/30hp, 1550 rpm motors that I would like to set up for various tools / uses.

Does anyone make an shaft adapter for a 3/8 inch shaft that would accommodate a tool such as a sanding drum tool, etc ... ?

Edited by RoosterShooter

You won't be able to do too much with 1/30th of a HP, other than bog it down.

You won't be able to do too much with 1/30th of a HP, other than bog it down.

Well, in that case, I have several 1/6 HP motors as well. I just thought I might find a use for these motors. Just got finished counting, and I have 4 - 1/6 HP motors that I could use.

Wait a Minute! That can't be right!!! What power is a dremel motor? I would think that a Dremel motor would be a small fraction of 1/30 HP. Am I wrong? Also, I turn 20# Rock Tumblers for 48 hrs. straight on the 1/30 HP motors, and they never overheat or bog down. Why wouldn't they work for a sander or burnisher?

Edited by RoosterShooter

Torque verses RPM and gear ratio is your answer. It is unlikely you turn the tumbler at 1725 RPM, it is geared down. You would not be happy with your sander turning 35 RPM.

There are a few solutions to do what you are trying to do, but most of them cost more than the $35 you have buy a sander for from Horbor freight.

Remember the motor needs to turn CCW and not CW or it will loosed the arbor nut.

I see what you mean.

The small motors are attached to a very large pulley that only turns the drums at 36 RPMs. I'm wondering what RPMs they turn at on the shaft?

Plug one in, and grab the shaft. I can bog down a 1/2hp grinder at work without pushing that hard. Then again it all depends on exactly you want to use them for. A lot of the fractional motors I see like that are used for spinning small fans.

Plug one in, and grab the shaft. I can bog down a 1/2hp grinder at work without pushing that hard. Then again it all depends on exactly you want to use them for. A lot of the fractional motors I see like that are used for spinning small fans.

I would recomend against that. If it has a keyway you may pull the skin right off your fingers. I am guessing you are slowing down a 1/2 HP motor that has an 8" stone on it. Once again it is a huge ratio issue. The extra 4" of leverage really gives you a lot of power compared to the 5/8" shaft.

I doubt a 1/30th has a keyway. Most just have a flat when they are that small.