Sign in to follow this  
MHolzer

New Mask Design

I've added a new mask design to my collection, an oak leaf. I only made two as prototypes to sell this fall. What do you guys think about the design?

The pictures don't show the colors very well, I promise they look better than that :)

Autumn-colored

med_gallery_6347_879_2190427.jpg

Green colored (with a fade to yellow on the tips)

med_gallery_6347_879_1628713.jpg

Dude....those are really cool. I envy you because I cannot color anywhere close to this. Have you considered using a long thin nail to round and cap the stem?

Outstanding job.

Dude....those are really cool. I envy you because I cannot color anywhere close to this. Have you considered using a long thin nail to round and cap the stem?

Outstanding job.

Thanks :) They're colored with a base coat of yellow spirit dye, then a coat of Resolene or Leather Sheen, then acrylic paint, then another few coats of Leather Sheen. I used a foam brush and a sea sponge to apply the acrylic paint.

What do you mean about "round and cap for the stem"?

Edited by MHolzer

I'm with KX, those are really cool. The colors are awesome and if they look better than the pics, better on you, cause they look great.

I think they are great and the colors are wonderful. The sea sponge is a great tool, i recently used one to give a wood effect.

cheers

Well...I have an oak leaf tree just out side of my office and I am constantly picking a leaf here and there. The portion that comes off the petal and attaches to the branch is round and kinda coned at the end. I thought if you used something think and round, you could wet the leather and mold it around the think object to provide a roundness effect. Take a look at any resource books that you may have regarding oak leaves.

Good luck.

Well...I have an oak leaf tree just out side of my office and I am constantly picking a leaf here and there. The portion that comes off the petal and attaches to the branch is round and kinda coned at the end. I thought if you used something think and round, you could wet the leather and mold it around the think object to provide a roundness effect. Take a look at any resource books that you may have regarding oak leaves.

Good luck.

OK, I think I understand what you're getting at. I will give that a try on the next round of these. Like I said, it's a new design so I have no problem tweaking it until it's right :)

I actually sold the autumn colored one yesterday at the show I was at, so apparently it's a nice enough start!