panchoskywalker

How To Make This Kind Of Valet Leather Tray?

hello friends, I was thinking about trying to make a valet leather tray and while I was looking for some inspiration I came across this kind of tray without cutting or stitching, do you know how is this done?

Picture s not mine so I removed the brand to not offend anyone.

dm9qab.jpg

I would say that the leather shape is cut and then maybe wet formed. Similar to a leaf bowl with out the leaf pattern tooled into it

Would you say that there's 2 pieces of leather glued together? It's painted on both side. It is wet formed for sure, do you think it involve 2 pieces of wood pressed together with the leather in between?

its hard to tell from the pic but i think its one piece of leather. It may have been formed in a press but that result can easily be achieved by hand and then just going around the inside with a creasing tool.

If its two pieces of leather and i was going to make this then I might join the two pieces together (rough to rough) and then cut the shape i wanted

If It is 2 pieces, and there is no way to tell with the perspective of the picture, then I would mold the inner, then mold the outer layer over it, then glue them together. If you were to laminate the two first, I think you would get lots of wrinkling inside the corners.

You don't have to have a press, just a simple plywood mold would do. Flat base, positive part of the mold screwed to it. Then a negative cut with enough gap around the positive to allow for the thickness of the leather. thoroughly soak the leather, clamp the negative down to the base around the positive & let it dry. Trim off the flanged area around the perimeter off and edge burnish.

The mold peices should have the corners rounded off & be thoroughly sanded. A lot of people like to use wood filler on their molds to give it an even smoother surface.

I'm not sure that just using a creaser would be enough to get that kind of shape.

Edited by byggyns

I know the maker of these, and there is a grain side on both top and bottom so it is two thin pieces glued together.

I know the maker of these, and there is a grain side on both top and bottom so it is two thin pieces glued together.

Ok, so you're the one that makes the engraving on his trays?

sorry, no I don't engrave the leather. I have been known to make a stamp or two.

Well, whatever you come up with you should put a lot of thought into making the shape something totally unique that you create your self......

Well, whatever you come up with you should put a lot of thought into making the shape something totally unique that you create your self......

Hi Badlove, I though you might be here. I love your work really bad.