Sign in to follow this  
MMArmoury

Leather For Hunting Pouches?

I am trying to decide on a leather type for making hunting pouches/possibles bags. Right now I am working on a pouch with Tandy's Deertan Cowhide, which I believe is a chrome-tan. Yet the book "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch" by TC Albert recommends lightweight veg-tan (which I am very familiar with). And someone else recommends oil-tan leather. Which is best? Chrome, veg, or oil-tan?

Like everything with leather, it depends on application. Chrome tan is usually cheaper and easier to come by, but over time it can damage metal because of the chemicals used in the tanning process. So bad idea for anything that is going to have metal sitting up against the leather long periods of time. Oil tan is much more weather resistant, but some people don't like the waxy oily feel. Veg tan is the safest option, but of course is usually going to be the most expensive of the three in the same weight. And chrome and oil tans can not be stamped.

Personally, I like oil tan for bags and pouches. For hunting gear especially, some weather protection is important. With chrome tans, you're pretty much done. About the only finsh you can add is some wax. Veg tan of course you'd have to go to town on to get it oiled to the right level or use acrylic finishes. You could always use a veg tan trim or panel if you'd like to do s stamping pattern, but ya I would say try out an oil tan and see how you like it.

I'm not a lot into the 200 years ago stuff, . . . but if I was, . . . I'd use the old fashioned 50/50 beeswax and neatsfoot oil (done by weight, not volume).

Veggie tan takes this finish very well, . . . which would end your chrome worries.

It makes a paste similar to Kiwi shoe polish, . . . put it on in a similar fashion, . . . would have been similar to what was actually used back then (I've been told, anyway), . . . and after a couple of skirmishes, some rain drops, maybe a snow squall, . . . your period piece actually looks period, . . . instead of New York Tiffany.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight