mabarker

Newbie. Hardwear And Decorative... Nails?

Hi all! This is my very first post. I have been wanting to get into leather work for quite a while now, but have been astonished at the "start up prices'" for quality tools and the such. My husband found someon selling their leather *workshop*--wwhich included pretty much ever hand tool and hand sewing device, tons of hardwear, leather, dyes and finisheing produces, not to mention patterns, belt blanks, and whole hides for a REALLY good deal. I have been plaing around an dhave made some dog collars, straps for snowshoes, and other small things.

I have two questions:

are there any other good sources for conchos, rivets and hardwear in Canada?

I was looking at some western headstalls that featured silver "nails" on the headstalls... very fine silver or copper colored dots. what are these, where can I find them and how do you use them? I have managed to find the small dots that you need to press throught the leather and bend, but these are much too large, as are rivets.

Thanks in advancce :)

M.

Hi and Welcome to LW :-)

I don't know about Canada but Ohio Travel Bag has most of the hardware you could ever want to start up with at your end of the big pond :-)

Hi Ma - I get much of my hardware from Harnesss Hardware, near Kitcener, Ont. Their catalogue http://www.harnessha...ets_staples.pdf shows spots as small as 1/8". You can get a commercial account with them, or I could send you small retail quantities. Other than that, I would try hammered wire (but be carefull with your leather!) or escutcheon pins.

Edited by CSMcK