Sign in to follow this  
wildrose

Getting Rid Of "pests" In The Workshop

Our basement is finished into several rooms, including a bathroom, our den/son's playroom, and my workshop/laundry room. The workshop has its own entrance, stairs that enter down from the side of the house, under a covered awning that comes out the side of the house. When one enters the shop from within the basement itself, one immediately passes the washer/dryer and progresses to the shop area. It's kind of an "L" shape overall, so while it is narrow entering, the shop extends back after you get in.

ANYHOW, I'm having a huge problem right now with creepy crawlies. Let me say up front that I have a phobia of spiders. I have gotten to where I will let them live if they are outside, but if they are in the house: they're dead. Same goes for other insects (yes, I know a spider is not an insect). I've had crickets, which I generally let go, earwigs/pincher bugs, etc etc.

Is there a way to easily remedy this situation? Our house in PA had a plug in thingy that I guess emitted a sound bugs didn't like? (Left behind by former homeowners). I don't really want to spray, since that'd involve moving alot of furniture. Maybe just spray around the door and window/dryer vent?

I killed 5 spiders (two very big ones) in one day, and today killed 3 and some bugs.

Hi Rose, i got fleas in my shop one summer " they were really bad ever where " anyway i set off a couple bug bombs. No more bugs or spiders.

John

Our basement is finished into several rooms, including a bathroom, our den/son's playroom, and my workshop/laundry room. The workshop has its own entrance, stairs that enter down from the side of the house, under a covered awning that comes out the side of the house. When one enters the shop from within the basement itself, one immediately passes the washer/dryer and progresses to the shop area. It's kind of an "L" shape overall, so while it is narrow entering, the shop extends back after you get in.

ANYHOW, I'm having a huge problem right now with creepy crawlies. Let me say up front that I have a phobia of spiders. I have gotten to where I will let them live if they are outside, but if they are in the house: they're dead. Same goes for other insects (yes, I know a spider is not an insect). I've had crickets, which I generally let go, earwigs/pincher bugs, etc etc.

Is there a way to easily remedy this situation? Our house in PA had a plug in thingy that I guess emitted a sound bugs didn't like? (Left behind by former homeowners). I don't really want to spray, since that'd involve moving alot of furniture. Maybe just spray around the door and window/dryer vent?

I killed 5 spiders (two very big ones) in one day, and today killed 3 and some bugs.

I regularly get mice, mainly in autumn, and put traps and used to poison down for them, but it can be smelly if they go behind something and die. I have a pair of wrens that nest in my shop every year,( I move out,and I do other things while they are sitting), and then put up with the droppings all over things. one year I caught (and killed) one of the babies in a mouse trap, I was devastated! I now make sure to remove all traps while they are breeding. spiders I don't mind, but I can't stand Slugs and woodlice (pill bugs?)

Cheers

Mike

I read in a home improvement magazine that the best way to remedy spiders in the basement is to run a dehumidifier at 40% or less. Spiders apparently absorb moisture through the air, and humid climates in the southeast are very favorable. I do this at home with good results.

Good luck!

Warning! Bug bombs have been known to be the cause of burning down your dwelling. Read the labels carefully.

I use an Ortho product, purchased at Home Depot, called Home Defense. My house is a ranch style built on a slab. I spray the around the exterior perimeter of the slab, around all doors and windows, around the corners (where floor and wall meet), etc., in the garage. Inside, I vacumn the floor, especially the corners, wipe down the baseboards and spray where the walls and floor meet, again around any entrance to the house, etc. throughout the house. I do this twice yearly, spring and fall. I repeat the process inside if it has been really wet or dry and critters start coming in the house. This seems to work for me. I have a toddler grandchild who is over frequently. Per the label, I spray when I have a couple days before their next visit. I rarely hear the wifey holler for me to come and kill something!

Personally I like the wolf spiders, they kill the hobo spider which is our equivalent of the brown recluse up here in the northwest. The little jumping spiders are good pest hunters as well.

Now if you wanna get rid of spiders you gotta make them not like there home. Get rid of places they like to live. Remove areas of egress to the outside world. Destroy there webs and such. Basically make it a pain to live there. Bombs and such only work on spiders that it contacts while dispersing. Humidity and environmental changes are your best bet. Line the crawl space if you can.

Good luck.

and here I was thinking that you were talking about those other "pests" in the workshop

you know the ones....

You know it will look better if you dyed it a different color -- or MEOW.....(pad across worktable dying feet)

Suze, I've had that kind of pest too - LOL!

I turned the de-humidifier back on and put out some more damp-rid, and things are a little better so far. I'm sure the "battle" isn't over though! We put fresh batteries in my son's "bug vacuum" and trapped a spider with it today. It was fascinating to look at it up close (in the container portion, which has magnification) without worry of getting bitten...because, aside from my fear, THAT is my big worry. I really don't want a spider biting me. I had one a few years back that swelled up my elbow and I had to spend days draining pus out of it...YUCK!