Long story short my cousin wants a "cowboy style" holster belt combo. Well when I talked to him today and he said "my dad use to work in a tannery and he said to line the holster with chrome tanned elk hide."

I thought chrome tan leather will remove the finish on a gun? I told him if he wants to spend the money on a whole elk hide I would do it.

Big no no. As in chromium salts rusts metal big time. Stick with the veg tanned.

As I understand it, there is a bit of chromium salt left in the leather after tanning. If the leather gets wet I suppose it could cause some damage to the finish.

I've use a lot of different holsters over the years, most recently carrying Kydex. All of them have caused some wear to the finish at friction points.

I'm not to up on the newer firearm finishes, but there may be some that are harder or protective that could prevent wear and perhaps protect from chrome tanned leather.

Thanks Red that's what I thought you I know every holster will take off finish but there is a difference between ruining a finish and having holster wear.

Stainless steel is about the only finish that will give a little protection from rust on a gun. However, I would never line a holster with chrome tanned leather. It's just a disaster waiting to happen, especially if the gun stays in the holster most of the time. And then you might have an incensed customer saying you did something to make it happen. I'd rather have a customer upset because I refuse to do a bad thing, than do it and have him telling everyone it was my fault.And from experience this can happen even with a "friend". IMHO

Tip