Sign in to follow this  
savage_here

Workshop storage

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but here goes...

I'm looking for a low drawer cabinet and can't seem to find the perfect thing. Basically I end up with many leather remnants and small pieces and I need a place to house them that's easy to access and where they can be "fairly" organized.

I'd like the drawer cabinet to be large enough and the right height so that I can put a piece of MDF on top and use it as a small cutting table.

The only thing that I've seen so far that's close is the flat files that are used for housing blueprints, etc. I don't need the drawers to be that shallow though, probably just around 6" or so deep. Plus, those things are expensive!!!

Ideally I'd like something with wooden drawers rather than metal. Plus, I think the wood ones will be cheaper.

I just need it to be functional, it doesn't have to look nice or anything like that.

Here's a Sears tool cabinet that's sort of what I'm talking about. It's just a little small and WAY too expensive.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...ts+%26+Cabinets

Or, an art-type chest like this, but again, less expensive:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz512/20/?wmcp=go...52800-1004-3761

Anyway, anybody have any thoughts???

Thanks.

Savage

What about kitchen cabinets from Lowe's , Home Depot or some place like that, I've seen them used with a solid wood top to make reloading benches with the drawers for storage. If you're not concerned with looks the guys I've seen build reloading benches with them bought scratch and dents dirt cheap.

i find that if you have a big "scrap" bin, it will overflow and multiply. therefor i put all of my scraps in a xerox size box. once it gets too full, it either gets sorted and or dumped. I dont like to but after a while, i know that if i havent used the scrap in a year, i doubt i will tomorrow.

You should try looking in your yellow pages for "used" office furniture. We have a store locally that specializes in used. i got a used 3 drawer lateral file cab for < 100. new were 300+. also, look for "going out of business" sales due to the economy, there should be alot of them. Also, local schools will have surplus sales sometimes along with local govmt offices.

have you looked at 2 drawer file cabinets? maybe putting 2 or 3 side by side would be cheaper. the only issue is having space for large scraps.

also, look for some local recycling place that specializes in building supplies/stuff. sometimes you can find cabinets.

another idea. check out your local lowels/HD for any of their "Damaged" stuff.

did you look at Harbor freight? some of the Automotive chains have their own version of the mechanics tool cart and are cheaper then Craftsman. but you get what you pay for too.

if youre handy with wood tools and welding, how about building it yourself? you could get some of those plastic rubbermaid/sterilte "under the bed" storage and make sliding shelfs for them.

the "hobby drawers" are what i would call "map/drawing files"

Edited by $$hobby

Thanks for the responses.

I guess I'm just looking for some "real estate" and the flat files seem to fit the bill. It would be great if I could stick, say, 5 or six remnants (i.e. arould maybe 2'x3' or so, maybe a little larger) in one drawer, several smaller pieces (say 2'x1' or smaller) in another drawer and the numerous 1'x6" pieces that I accumulate in a couple of other drawers laid out so that I can see what's what.

That coupled with the surface area for cutting would be ideal.

I guess the answer is that the flat files are exactly what I'm looking for, they're just not priced at what I want to pay!

Back to the drawing board (with nowhere to store the drawings!)...

Savage

Savage,

Scrap management has never been easy for me. I use the plastic totes and underbed storage containers mostly. I sort by type of leather and not size. The exception is scrap skirting, I sort into long pieces for strap, pieces larger than 6" square, and smaller that 6".

Storing cutting patterns was never much fun either. I stored them in underbed totes, and it was a pain to organize and make sure they got back where they belonged. A couple months ago I visited Ken Nelson's shop. He was using a map/drafting file. I came home and checked out a local new and used office furniture warehouse. They had two scratch and dent drafting files that I bought. They are really pricey retail, but since they are not a big mover - dirt cheap when cosmetically damaged. They fit under my benches and so no big change in shop layout.

My cutting table is actually an old military surplus desk. I slipped lengths of pipe over the legs to raise it up to the right height. The drawers are handy for storage, and a scrap tub fits underneath the center.

I did somewhere about chopping up scrap into small pieces and making handles for tools etc. by mixing glue with the scrap and pasting in layers until attaining the shape and size required. Anyone else remember this method?